dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Passing variables to the standalone flash player.

Passing variables to the standalone flash player.

I have created some swf files that are going to be launched from another piece of software. Is it possible to pass a variable to an swf file that gets launched in the standalone flash player?

There are a number of links within this software that will launch different swf files. Instead of linking directly to the swf files, I would love all the links to point to one swf file that will then load the appropriate movie into the layer above it. Is it possible to pass the name of the movie for the origional swf to load in a link from another app without using a browser?

I believe the software that will be linking was created with VB6.

Thanks in advance.

Tim (Super Moderator) Northcode's Avatar
    You can't pass parameters to an SWF or a normal Flash projector, but there are a couple of ways to get information from one SWF to another. If they are both running at the same time, the most obvious solution is to use a local connection object. Otherwise you can use a shared local object created in the first SWF and loaded by the second one. To make a shared object work, remember to set the localPath paremeter to "/" so the two different SWF files can both use the same SOL file.

Thanks North Code... you guys are everywhere.
    What if the info is coming from an executable not created with Flash? In this case from a VB exe.

Tim (Super Moderator) Northcode's Avatar
    If you have wrapped your SWF in a VB executable you can use the SetVariable method to create variables in your Flash movie. If you can explain the architecture a bit more I can provide more help...