dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mixed Martial Arts

Mixed Martial Arts

Anyone here watch PrideFC or Ultimate Fighting Championship (or any MMA events)?
    "War just in the ring, peace on Earth" - Vanderlei Silva

I watch that Ultimate Fighter on Spike TV, the reality show, its really good, I can't wait till

Cortough VS Liddel

or what ever,
    Randy and chuck UFC 52 April 16th!!!
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Yeah...it should be good.

I think they are trying to get Ken Shamrock vs. Rich Franklin for the final episode when the finalists square off against each other.

Couture Vs. Liddel will probably be a Pay Per View event.

yeah, for a while, I got into PRIDE and UFC. Haven't seen anything in two years after Tito Ortiz became popular.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Did you see the Ortiz and that other guy, how Ortiz called on Shamrock and Liddel

That was funny, it will be nice to see Ortiz and Shamrock

or liddel

naw, didn't see that. Shamrock is getting old...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Always loved martial arts. It's a shame they don't go into ju jitzu more often.

Also, I would love to see an aikido master just whoop ass.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

thats what Ortiz said to shamrock that pi$$ him off

I]"shamrock you old man"[[/I]
    Last edited by PCRIDE; 02-18-2005 at 01:32 AM.

i train in wuh lum kung fu, jujistu and some stick fighting.. i made a tape for The Ultimate Fighter.. not enuff mma experience i guess or not enuff fighting experince .. only 3 years training.. oh well another time..

Originally posted by vampstko
    i train in wuh lum kung fu, jujistu and some stick fighting.. i made a tape for The Ultimate Fighter.. not enuff mma experience i guess or not enuff fighting experince .. only 3 years training.. oh well another time..
    I used to do judo and kyokushinkai karate and have now been doing some kickboxing, but mostly freefight over the past 4 years.
    Matches would be cool, but also very unhealthy for you on long term, no matter how good you are (at least imo)...plus I'm nowhere near good enough

Virgo: You should check out some older MMA tapes with the Gracies in it, especially Rickson Gracie!
    He nicely demonstrates the effectiveness of his Brazillian Ju-Jitsu

Originally posted by MTEV
    I used to do judo and kyokushinkai karate and have now been doing some kickboxing, but mostly freefight over the past 4 years.
    Matches would be cool, but also very unhealthy for you on long term, no matter how good you are (at least imo)...plus I'm nowhere near good enough

Virgo: You should check out some older MMA tapes with the Gracies in it, especially Rickson Gracie!
    He nicely demonstrates the effectiveness of his Brazillian Ju-Jitsu
    LOL...me and my cousin bought one of Renzo Gracie's books and we practice BJJ every once in awhile.

But BJJ is just a part of the grappling scheme. Judo, Wrestling, Sambo and Juijitsu would form a good base when it comes to grappling.

I think most of the top MMA fighters try to incorporate a good mix of grappling (BJJ, Judo, wrestling) and striking (Muay Thai and boxing)...plus the requisite conditioning and strength training.

Japan's PrideFC is happening this weekend...but they won't show on inDemand until next Friday...man I can't wait!

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    In a fight situation a someone with a judo background will get slaughtered until they get the opponent to the ground - then they own nearly anyone.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Originally posted by Napalm
    In a fight situation a someone with a judo background will get slaughtered until they get the opponent to the ground - then they own nearly anyone.
    That goes for any grappling sport.
    You can train to take punches and kicks, but once they choke you or break your arm/leg...it's pretty much over.

I've found a lot of people to underestimate the power of grappling and sticking with striking (I made the same mistake).
    Most of the UFC/MMA fights end up "on the floor" for a reason.

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar
    Might be effective rolling around on the floor choking each other, doesn't exactly make for great viewing though.

I wanna see em punch and kick each other, ultimate fighting championship? Ultimate Cuddling Contest more like.

also, is it me or does 2 big blokes in their underpants grappling together on the floor look a leeedle bit gay?!

Originally posted by SpockBert
    Might be effective rolling around on the floor choking each other, doesn't exactly make for great viewing though.

I wanna see em punch and kick each other, ultimate fighting championship? Ultimate Cuddling Contest more like.

also, is it me or does 2 big blokes in their underpants grappling together on the floor look a leeedle bit gay?!
    Striking controlling the clnch when standing, submissions, contolling the ground action (either from the guard or mount) or all exciting to me....and I think it is great viewing.

I've been following modern Mixed martial arts since UFC 1. Since then it has evolved into something more cerebral...not just toughguys swinging at each other.

It's like playing chess...but both on a mental and physical aspect. Who can up with the best strategy to win? It's awesome on so many levels.

True...just as in boxing when one boxer hold the other for the other fight...a MMA fight, when brought to the ground can be boring if the fighter on top doesn't do anything to win...the term is commonly known as "lay and pray," which is the opposite of what they should be doing..."ground and pound" (or working for a submission).

As for the gay factor. A lot of people in the USA seem to think it is gay the first time around. I took wrestling in high school...so I guess I have an appreciation for the grappling arts. But in Brazil and Japan the a lot of people know the sport...and watch it like we watch football...or baseball. In Japan, MMA is shown on live TV...not just as a Pay Per View like here in the states...so that goes to show you that the level of acceptance is greater there than here.

Still, I think anyone who had aikido (using your opponent's movement against them, circular and fluid-like) and ju-jitzu would kick everyone's ass.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    Still, I think anyone who had aikido (using your opponent's movement against them, circular and fluid-like) and ju-jitzu would kick everyone's ass.
    Maybe one day...we will see someone who is proficient in aikido compete in MMA.

But so far, most top fighters train in JiuJitsu, Wrestling, Muay Thai, and boxing. Judo and Sambo are also growing in popularity.