A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: esc key disabling - is it legal ?

esc key disabling - is it legal ?

I have to produce a presentation in flash. It should be a standalone flash movie. And my problem is that I want disable ESC key. I can't afford at the moment to buy tools like SWF Studio or Jugglor. Is using resource editor to disable ESC key legal? Whatever we say it's some kind of player code modification. Can someone help me in this matter? Thank you in advance.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    You won't be able to disable the ESC key by editing the resources in the projector. There's actual code somewhere in the projector that controls this. You have to stop the ESC key from being sent to the projector and for that you need a wrapper around the EXE.

it works

Yes, I can do taht. If you go to Accelerators and then erase VK_ESCAPE, 20050, NOINVERT, VIRTKEY , the ESCAPE key will not stay activ. When you will run the projector modified in that way and set the movie to ope in full screen you won't be able to exit the full screen mode by pressing ESC. I tried that and it works but if it's legal ?

PS sorry for the misprints

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Cool, you learn something new every day, thanks for the update Eini! Time to go spelunking through the standalone player resources again...

IMHO, disabling the ESC key is much less objectionable than removing MM copyright notices, icons etc. I can't see why anyone at MM would get their nose out of joint about that.

However, I will now wimp out by stating that I am not a lawyer and any legal type advice you get from me is worth exactly what you paid for it