A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dont mess with the Spanish police!!!

Dont f*ck with the Spanish police!!!

right on. now, thats what i call creative.

Hey man, still listening to that mix of urs. Got any more?

sure, ill look around my archives for one up or I can just make a new one...any particular tunes you want in it?

I bet he sues them, and he'll probably win.

Yeah, that probably wasn't the best way to go about that.
    Last edited by timBertrand; 08-05-2006 at 03:01 AM.

I counted atleast 14,000 they and they're in your rant Tim.
    We can't generalise to much tho, because of the actions of some police officers you generalise them all under the label of pigs, mother f... well, you get the picture. What those individuals did is wrong, in my opinion, but if they are not held accountable under the law than they are not accountable.
    subgenius.com

That sucks.

Hey Tim,

In your post you mentioned "He was just an addict looking for money to support his habit".

Does this make it okay for him to cause this situation in the first place?

If you commit a crime then some sort of Law-Enforcement Agency will do something about it.(I left it deliberately vague as Laws & Police differ from country to country)

The best was to avoid conflict is to conform to the rules of the society that one gladly lives in. Should someone wish to completly "Opt-Out" from society's responsibilities, should he retain the rights & priviledges too.

I see it as a kind of evolution, no don't laugh (too much), if your conduct does'nt lead to a greater chance of survival the you probably won't survive.

P.S. Is it chic at your school to resent and attack Authority? My, My, the joys of being young again
    Last edited by Archimage; 04-15-2004 at 10:43 AM.
    Lecherous by Nature, Evil by Intent

***Blame dem Jeans***

I see it as a kind of evolution, no don't laugh (too much), if your conduct does'nt lead to a greater chance of survival the you probably won't survive.
    Well said. I wish people would just let darwinism work its magic, it is the best safety valve/filter we possess as a species.

Squidlips: I never said that all cops are evil or that all cops are anything -- I don't think I generalized about the motivations of the police. That said, ALL cops have the tools and connections to get away with murder. ALL cops have the possibility of being motivated by something more than just 'serving and protecting', and because of that we can't take their words as gospel and their actions as right all the time. We need both sides of the story.
    I'm sure there are some misguided people who believed that 'cops are good' spiel they gave us in elementary school and joined the ranks to make the world a better place. I said that police have the same ability to be hateful and biased as the rest of us, and therefore should not be given the near Godly authority that they have. Nobody can be certain of their motivations for their actions -- they could be terrible racists that plant drugs on Blacks.. they could hold grudges towards Christians. Certainly you realize that, if there can be such ****** bigots in other professions, then its going to be the same among the police.

But in the case of this drug addict who the Spanish police tried to murder, there was no reason for them doing so, other than pure malice. He was no longer posing a threat to anyone and, because of that, their actions were unjustifiable and in my opinion and under the laws that apply to anyone but police, should result in jail time for those who were involved. But there won't be -- who's going to arrest them? The police? Oh wait, they're the ones who did it!

Your statement "if they are not held accountable under the law than they are not accountable." is so unbelievably wrong that it saddens me that anyone could think that way. The legal system is not perfect -- not close. There are biased juries and biased judges. Do you seriously take everything that the cops or judges say as unquestionable fact?
    Seriously, look at both sides of the story and make an informed decision, you'll quickly realize that everybody is capable of making mistakes and -- more dangerously -- purposely doing terrible things, and 'everybody' includes law makers, cops, the President, judges, and juries.
    The cops are guilty of attempted murder in this case and I hope that somebody in Spain comes to their senses and does something about it... same goes for all the cops abusing their power everywhere in the world.
    Last edited by timBertrand; 08-05-2006 at 03:03 AM.

Archimage: I obviously don't think what he did was right, and I of course think that he should face consequences for his actions. Personally, when it comes to drug addicts I think that rehabilitation would do far more good than any time spent in prison, but the law of the land I guess would decide his fate in that regard.
    That still is completely irrelevant to the situation, though, they had hours of video of his face, they had cameras everywhere and there was no way he could've escaped. They could've just set up a roadblock or let him run out of gas (they could've delivered the bike with a couple kilometres worth). There were so many ways to go about it that didn't involve harming the man. Because of that it is malice and, as such, deserving of jail time.
    I'm sure there was at least one person in Spain who could have thought of safe ideas of how to apprehend the man, and I'm sure they did. The police deliberately tried to kill someone on international TV to prove a point and that is inconceivably horrible. What's even more horrible is that no actions will be taken against these people and that brainwashed individuals will just laugh it off and say "that'll learn him". No human deserves that kind of treatment -- not Hitler or George Bush, not when they're posing no imminent threat and can be restrained without causing harm to anybody else.

have to agree with you for the most part, cops cannot just act the way they want to, they have rules to follow and reasonable force is one of those. If we start to applaud cops for acting like judge, jury and vigilantes then we're on a slippery slope indeed.

You can't apply the same standards to the criminal and the police, the police have to be answerable. I have no compassion for criminals but it's a poor society that applauds excessive force by cops.

"A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals."
    dostoevsky

Reason and Knowledge have always played a secondary, subordinate, auxiliary role in the life of peoples, and this will always be the case. A people is shaped and driven forward by an entirely different kind of force, one which commands and coerces them and the origin of which is obscure and inexplicable despite the reality of its presence.
    Also Dostoevsky...

But.....people will react as humans are known to act, not always as we would ideally want them to. Does their reaction make them culpable? the law excuses them, yet it doesnt justify their actions(very important if not somewhat semantic)...as their actions would not of transpired if not for the perpetrator. So yea, they went over the line. What would you do? How would you react to that flight/fight response yourself? It was frankly a very good strategem with the resources/experience they had, and honestly that guy was an idiot for asking for the most unprotected form of transport...he played his card and was trumped. At least he got a darwin nomination out of it...

"Out of the crooked timber of humanity no straight thing was ever made."
    Kant

Originally posted by webcorps
    But.....people will react as humans are known to act, not always as we would ideally want them to. Does their reaction make them culpable? the law excuses them, yet it doesnt justify their actions(very important if not somewhat semantic)...as their actions would not of transpired if not for the perpetrator. So yea, they went over the line. What would you do? How would you react to that flight/fight response yourself? It was frankly a very good strategem with the resources/experience they had, and honestly that guy was an idiot for asking for the most unprotected form of transport...he played his card and was trumped. At least he got a darwin nomination out of it...
    what would I do? Right now I would avoid the conflict but I'm not a policeman with months of training and years of experience behind me. They did go over the line and I hope they're disciplined for it, but I imagine the reality will be that those actions serve as inspiration for other police.

I'm not saying the police should be perfect, none of us are, but in fact my sorrow is directed more at the people who enjoyed watching it because it was 'cool' or thought it a great idea for police to behave like this.

To me that's as much of a sign of a declining civilisation as the police behaving above the law. There are plenty more signs of course, most of them are on fox.

webcorps: There's a problem with your use of 'reaction' -- its not as if this was some spur of the moment kneejerk thing... they had hours to plan the best possible route to take him into custody. That's the thing that really irks me about this video.
    With thousands of different ways they could have gone about this and so many that wouldn't have done damage to anyone, they decided just about the stupidest, most harmful method -- aside from nuking him or something. How would I have gone about it? I would've delivered the bike with next to no gas and let it run out. Then rush the bike with hundreds of guns drawn. My strategy is far better than theirs -- and I'm not a team of 'trained professionals' with years of experience. They knew that their 'very good strategem' as you put it was over-the-top and that's why they chose it.
    There's no way that I'll ever be convinced that the way these police abused their power and put two human lives in fatal danger needlessly (the car driver was in a crash, too), and the way so many other cops do the same every day, is justifiable.
    Your blaming the cops' actions on the perpetrator is immature. The fact of the matter is that the sentence for what he did is X number of years in prison, it is NOT getting hit by a speeding car.
    The cops were just showboating for the cameras.
    "Threatening people and stealing is wrong, so it's OK that they tried to kill him" (paraphrasing)... that just doesn't add up.

-Tim

While I can't go as far as to say this is a sign that law enforcement is getting worse (the ways of old were far more barbaric), this video was really hard for me to watch also. There had to be a better way to handle this.

Then again, I don't know all of the details for this case. Did this guy have a history of being violent or anything?

sure, i think people that watch foxnews are sad as well, but I in no way equate their fascination with a car wreck as a decline in civilized society. That is a bit harsh, and dont get me wrong, I know you only want civilization to be up to its potential, but this is where we completely digress as I am more stoic on these issues, I believe the evil that we do is such an integral part of who we are that it is dare I say, necessary...not only for the participants, but also for the spectators...as indi said, people have done worse when left up to their own devices in the past, and civilization has been upwardly mobile throughout that time, remember without the romans we wouldnt have law and order, but they did love their bloodsports...we do as well, but in a more sanitized fashion. And this world, to a large extent, is a safe place to live in spite of it all...I just dont agree that this condition is fleeting or can somehow be fully suppressed as it manifests itself in so many other parts of our psyche and history. With the increase of tensions in the geo-political environment, I suspect this will become more commonplace as people displace their angers/frustrations. Especially against aggressors/perps. But back to the point about the spanish cops...yea, it shocked me a little bit, but did I feel pity for the perp, or did it dismay my hopes in society? Not one bit. In fact I felt he deserved it. I think people who cross the line over into violent crime do so, because it is what they understand and I only feel it appropriate to reciprocate in kind. Does this make me evil or cruel? I do still love puppies and kittens, but can honestly say that Ive never felt the warm fuzzies...but at the end of the day I do beleive that society is getting better in spite of our primal tendencies...