A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "Programming Flash MX" or "Flash Math Creativity"

"Programming Flash MX" or "Flash Math Creativity"

I'm a semi-advanced Flash programmer wanting to beef up my Math skills for Flash.

Which would you buy? Programming Flash MX by Robert Penner or Flash Math Creativity by Manny Tan? Both have good reviews - and I'm unable to decide.

Or do you know of another brilliant Flash Math book?
    someday i'll be a kick-ass flash developer - you'll see.

Flash Math Creativity is a great book to have, but I was a bit disappointed in how failed to help a Math/AS newbie like myself. Now that I have a beginning grasp on Maths I can go back to it and follow along with at least the first many projects..

I have not purchased "Programming Flash MX" yet, but if it does have an good Math programming section I will definately pick it up.

'Teach Yourself Flash MX Actionscript in 24 hours' is a great all-around book that has helped me greatly in the whole AS department. The Math section is a bit small (Almost everything covered except tan, atan, etc..) but great to get you started. This is the book that helped me realize sine/cosine in flash.

Good luck!

Thanks jmdesigns,

Yeah I've got the 'Teach Yourself Flash MX Actionscript in 24 hours' book - I learnt a lot of the fundamentals.

I'm specifically looking for a Flash Math book - advanced affects - but clearly explained would be best. Isometry, trig, etc.

Thanks

I just found this book while browsing the FAQ for ElectroServer..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ow#reader-link

Looks pretty good, isometrics, math, trig, i'm going to order it from Bookpool to play with over the weekend.

-John

Looks good jmdesigns - I'm considering it - thanks.

As a followup, the book "Flash MX Game Design Demystified" is pretty amazing. Although I am only 80 pages into the book I have already learned basic physics and trig. The author does a great job teaching the reader how real life physics can be mirrored in the actionscript environment.

Despite other reviews I feel that if you already have a bit of actionscript know-how this book will be helpful. I have pretty much no Trig/Physics know-how and am following along (slowly) with the author... So far.

Yeah I think I'll get it sometime - thanks man.

well if you know a little about how AS works, and how to get information back and forth, and do some calculations, just goto sparknotes.com, and check out some of the math stuff. and look at the examples on this site, and get the open source ones to look at the code, and tweak it and mess with it.