A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: WIN XP and 2000 Issue with Flash/swf Resolved?

WIN XP and 2000 Issue with Flash/swf Resolved?

Has anyone found a solution to the stuttering problem with CD Roms on Win XP and 2000 machines? Please help if you have the solution!

Thanks!

same issue

I have the same issue and have posted in lots of forums and as yet not one reply, i don't think anyone has an answer.
    I am wondering if it is because xp is a more asset intensive package and the system can't handle the music as the animation does not seem to have a problem. I am at present publishing my presentation which has over 47 complete sound tracks and 5 voice overs at a lower quality to see if this solves the problem.
    Wish me luck and i will let you know if it has worked.
    Danus
    is any development ever really finished?

I'm trying to determine if I can just boost my RAM to its max so that I can atleast get it to work on my laptop from the local drive. I'm using the file as a presentation in meetings. Ironically, the presentation was created in Flash instead of Powerpoint to show professionalism!

I spoke to Macromedia today and they had me email the issue in. I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if there is a fix or not. Apparently I should hear back within 24 hours. I'll post their response when/if I get it.

I've been problem solving for almost two weeks now, enough is enough.

Ewan

Publishing at a lower quality

Forgot to mention, mine was republished at lower quality and it did not help. It loaded faster but that's about it. Plus, my animation wasn't as good and the audio became a little static-y.

what is the problem with it ?

is it because drives are to slow, or to long accesstime ?

epowder

This is something I have been battling with as well.

Are you guys creating Flash 6 or 7 projectors?
    I was hoping the Flash7 projectors would at least help with this issue.

Thanks!

RE: Flash CD Rom with swf files, divided into sections

I can not play it on any machine that is running winy2k or xp, especially on laptops. I can get it to work fine on any 98 machine, even laptops with win 98. The issue is, it stutters and then sometimes crashes. It only starts to stutter at the beggining of a section (and continues to stutter from that point on). If the section does not stutter at the beginning, it will always make it to the end of that section. Once it starts the next section, it begins to stutter again.

If I shut it down and start again, it will get further through the presentation and then stutter later. I can keep shutting the app down and starting back up and it will work further and further but once I reboot, I have to go through the process again.

I saw this same issue at: http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=343101 but it was not resolved.

how about keeping the drive active by having it read a dummy file ?

Dummy File

Do you know how I can do that? I have two scenarios:

1. A client receives the CD, puts it in their drive and it autoruns
    2. I have the app saved to my local drive and I run it on my laptop as I present the application

put an empty mc in somewhere on the cd.

Have your presentation load the clip at an interval

setInterval(loadDummy,3000);
    function loadDummy(){
    loadMovie("theDummy.swf",placeHolder);
    }

3 second interval (3000 milliseconds)should be sufficient to keep the drive active

epowder

dummy file

Tried dummy file but no joy unfortunately. It just does not make any sense. I have found that sometimes the presentation runs without any problem on an xp machine then bam from no where of she goes again.
    I am sorry others have the same problem but i am so glad that i am not alone.

Is it audio stutter?

Are you using streaming audio?

What sound hardware do you have?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

audio

I can not speak for ewan but for our presentation the work was supplied from a recording studio and imported direct into the mx presentation.
    It works fine on me and 98 but with 2k and xp it plays fine sometimes and others it stutters as though it is under water.
    from going over other forums and old messages it has been going on for some time.
    it is almost as if the sound function through mx is too much for the resources on xp to handle, like when you are running a slow machine and pick up your email whilst listening to music.

There used to be issues with certain sound hardware under windows NT that was corrected with either driver updates for by the new drivers for Win2K.

I would look for new drivers, and try it on a machine with different hardware.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

The sound on my presentation was taken directly from the recording studio as well (like danus).

I have also tested it on machines without sound cards and found no stutter (how do I know? When it stutters, the video stutters as well).

I think the issue has something to do with the resources that are being utilized on the laptops in my office. The reason I say this is I've tried to run it on a desktop that is a P2 with 96 megs of Ram and it works perfectly. Also, I've tried it on a laptop that is possibly even less powerful than the desktop I just mentioned but it's running Windows 98 and it worked great. I can not get it to work on our more powerful laptops with 512 megs of ram, etc. etc. with Windows 2k or XP.

I feel like I should be sitting in a circle, holding hands and sobbing into tissue.

hardware and drivers

The presentation goes out on CD to my clients clients so i have no way of knowing what drivers are on their machines.
    The tracks came into me as mp3 fromat to import into flash directly.
    This link helped me understand the issue a bit better but unfortunately no conclusion was drawn on how to solve the issue.
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showt...threadid=343101

I need to be able to send my cd to clients as well so I also need to resolve the issue on my end.

Flash problem solved

I managed to speak with Macromedia who, after making me jump through the ropes, sent me a link to the solution. Apparently there is a more recent version of the authoring tool which solves the problem. I tested it over the weekend and it works. Here's the link:

<http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...o_stutters.htm>