A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Higher Screen resolutions distorting images in Flash Site

Higher Screen resolutions distorting images in Flash Site

Hi all,

i have been designing flash web sites for the past couple of years now and have always optimised my sites for 800/600 and 1024/768 screen resolutions. One of my clients has asked me if i can make their site fill the browser window width and adjust the height accordingly, for any screen resolution.

I have exported my movie at 100% Dimensions and have a javascripted button that detects the screen resolution and opens up a window of exact proportions of the flash site.

However, i get problems of images being distorted and slightly pixelated. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i could get rid of the distortions ??

Here is the link.

http://www.constanzeinteriorprojects.com/giles.htm

could i ask people to look at the image on the Home page in different resolutions? Also the image of the lady in the profile section.

800 / 600 no distortion
    1024 / 768 a little distortion

there is a little distortion as you go up higher in resolution HOWEVER, if i used 1600 / 1200 there is no distortion at all ???

Many thanks in advance,

gilesb

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    If you've designed your base site for 8x6...

I have found that sizing up the dimensions using your javascript checker is fine with all content, except rasterized product. Embedded photos and such will distort, similarly to enlarging them in any standard application, so you'll need to perhaps explore runnining tow versions of your site.

You could try dynamically importing the photos - I've never done it so I don't know how they would react to the upsizing of the swf file, but it's worth experimenting to see if they are held to the same % increase problems/degrading. Of course, even if it works and they don't degrade, then you'll just have small photos in a larger version of your file...

Perhaps you could try making your base site 10x7 as making the swf smaller (size-wise) would perhaps have a better chance of preserving the image quality?
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Many thanks for that,

i shall look into your suggestions

i thought of doing a 1024 / 768 site and then resizing it smaller, will have to test it out - there has to be more chance of preserving image quality if you are down sizing as opposed to upsizing...

many thanks again

Gilesb