A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Centering instances

I have just been trying to do one of the tutorials, and constant reference is made to:
    "ensure it's centered with the "Use Center Point" option checked".

I know to check the "use center point" option, but I'm not sure if that's all I have to do to center it. Or do I also use the "X" and "Y" values to center it?

I'm confused.

- Rose

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

Which tutorial are you trying to use? And what exactly are you trying to do? Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

The tutorial I'm doing is in the Advanced section, called "Creating an Animated Hidden Menu System". Rather than bumble around trying to explain what exactly I'm doing, here is one of the instructions, which I copied directly from the tutorial.

8.Select "Convert to Symbol" from the
    "Insert" menu or press F8. You should see a new Graphic symbol appear in the Library. Name it "Dot" and ensure it's centered with the "Use Center Point" option checked.

Thanks

- Rose

Get Squared Away.

Cool

An object is centered if the box is checked and the x and y coordinates both read zero.
    I hope this helps.

Happy flashing,

Josiah

That's all I needed to know. Thanks Josh!

Angry

Another glitch. Why is it that every time I check the box, and make sure the coordinates both read 0 ... then deselect it and select it again, the coordinates read 10.0 and 10.0 again?

I know this is a real dumb problem, but I just can't seem to get it right.

- Rose

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

Because the default center of all objects is the top left corrner. Thats why you have to change the "use center point" You are changing the center point from top left to object center. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Question

Thanks Bill ... I still don't understand but I'll take your word for it. Let me clarify what I think you mean.

So I give an object coordinates of 0,0 .. and checkmark the "use center point" box. When I've done that, and I reselect the object again, it shows different coordinates, yet is still centred (according to the grid). Are you telling me that that is ok, because the coordinates are in relation to the top left corner?

(sigh)

- Rose