A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Does this qualify as a music video

Does this qualify as a music video

I've just done an atempt at making a music video for my band and I'm looking for some feedback.

If you want it in a popup window go here and the first number on the list has a video link:
    www.cremextreme.dk/music/

if you just want it in a browser window:
    www.cremextreme.dk/music/video.htm
    I may or may not be that good - but I still make a living - doing Flash

anyone ?

i would say yes. and i thought it was pretty cool.

good job.

Thanks - I've done it in 2 days time and the drawingstyle is just one of my favorites(childish - I can draw in many different styles)

very nice video.

but I would delete the lyrics; that is dumb; especially "vocal solo"
    and the lyrics aren't always readable
    but, really; nice work

I don't think the lyric idea is dumb, but i do agree that something needs to happen with it. when your video goes full it covers the lyrics sometimes.

Thanks for the comments I talked to a few of freinds and they seem to agree with the text think.
    My initial idea was to make a karaokee ball jump along with the lyrics but maby I'll just delete the layer that they reside on.

Now for another question It's done in 640 X 480 resolution but for TV the resolution is a bit higher(I don't remember exsactly how much) how do I make my complete movie this resolution?.

I've allways thought that flash needed a Cropping tool and a movie rezise tool.

Anyother comments ? anyone ? :-)
    Last edited by sneazus; 10-01-2003 at 02:48 AM.

im not sure about tv resolution here is some help

Aspect Ratios - What kinds are there?
    You will deal primarily with 4 different aspect ratio's when dealing with video for television:
    4:3
    1.77:1 = (16:9)
    1.85:1
    2.35:1
    16:9

The first is fullscreen or 4:3 (1.333 decimal), and the other is widescreen 16:9 (1.777 decimal

Aspect Ratio - The Basic Math:
    To get a video's aspect ratio, you divide the video's width, by it's height. If my example video had no letterboxing, a Width of 640, and a Height of 272, then I would simply divide 640 / 272 to get the decimal aspect ratio of 2.35. The "Decimal" aspect ratio is obtained simply by dividing the aspect ratio's top number, by the bottom number. If our video is a 16:9 video, we divide 16 by 9, and we get 1.777 decimal ( 16 / 9 = 1.777 ).

4/3 = 1.333
    16/9 = 1.777

you could always use the free transform tool to resize the entire movie, but i am not sure that it will change the contents' size as well. I have had some movies with all pieces resize and others that don't.

hope that helps a little bit.

I do actually know about the aspect ratio thing.
    thats why I did it in 640 X 480 (4:3 - aspect) however if I resize the stage of my movie the elements will maintain theire positions and it will only give me more space at the buttom and on the right side.

and I want to render the movie at 720 x 540 (4:3 - aspect ) the pixel dimensions of a video screen.(I think :-))(it's a long time since I did any video stuff)

when you embed the movie in a html page you can set the dimensions of the movie f.ex. 800 X 600(4:3 - aspect )and it will simply scale the whole movie(swf) and it's the same effect that I'm looking for but so that I would be able to render out the individual frames and import them into a video program(Premiere or Finalcut pro)

now i leave the html size alone. and let the movie depict the size. Now how i did it with my latest site (which has movie instances in one larger movie) is free transform the movie containing the instances. i did have to check each instance or sometimes sets of frames to make sure they were sized correctly but it took me less than five minutes.

www.paxclan.com

is not anything fancy by anymeans and not the prettiest, but the movie was 800x600 and is now is about 75% of 640x480. like i said in under 5 min.

edit: DOH!! you could always select all frames and do the transform all at once and be done in under a min.
    Last edited by jmcdaid; 10-01-2003 at 04:07 AM.

I understand this but since I'm not delivering for the net it will not work.
    I have to render out the individual frames as bitmaps and work with them in a video application.

And if I render out the mainmovie from within flash it doesn't include loaded movieclips.

or did i completely misunderstand you.

have you tried exporting your movie as an avi. there is an option to do so.

that was such a weird song, they remind me of cake alot. Anyways, the video was pretty cool, was a bit humorus, had me smirking on a few parts.

You have a very good ear my freind. Actually Cake is one of the singers(Scott Voloshin) favorite bands. and he has in fact done a complete theatrical performance of one of there albums.
    Right Now Scott works at a theater in New York.

By the way I fixed My resolution Problem. And I'm gonna remove the lyrics shortly.

mind telling how you fixed. never know if your solution might be the right one for someone else.

I think I did it like you said.

I cut all my frames and layers from the main timeline and put them inside a movieclip And resized it to my desired pro portions
    720 X 576 (TV resolution)

Thanks for the help.

I'll upload the new version shortly. (when I get my ADSL back which will be sometime this afternoon)

56k dial-up at my girlfreinds house is just too slow for my patience. :-)

understandable

I've uploaded a new version without the text which alot of people didn't like