A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Which to use??

Which to use??

I am going to add video clips to my site and I have been trying to find the best solution. So, I would be grateful if you could share with me the best format and software to use. My server does have access to RealMedia/Windows Media Storage Space, I'm running Flash MX, and using ASP.NET. I want the best format that will allow, if possible, my viewers to view streaming video without downloading a player . I have considered QuickTime, RealPlayer, Windows Media Players, and embed into flash. Any ideas, suggestions, or positives and negatives for the players would be awesome. Also, which is the software of choice for editing? You guys are great thanks a lot.

well..I can tell you that if most of your users have flash, that's a good option as they don't have to download a player.

We're building a site at the moment where we detect for flash and then give them flash video, and those who don't have flash are directed to pages that will (hopefully - apparently its possible according to our .asp programmer) have a detect for either realplayer or quicktine, which we will then embed into the .asp page.

We're choosing quicktime cause it's so good, and realplayer for it's coverage and cause it looks good embedded into a page. I was tossign nup between realplayer and windows media player, thinking windows media would make more sense because of coverage (i.e the amount of people that have the player), but when we did embed tests into html, windows media player doesn't look as good - with some very unattractive luminous green text indicating buffering etc.

all this is for http streaming (downloading the vid instead of streaming it)

Grey
    grey

Wow thanks for the reply. I was a little confused near the end of the post. So, the video is going to be streamed not downloaded right? What I was thinking was that most of my site is done in Flash so if they can see the site then they would be able to see the video if it was also played through flash. Does that make sense? Also, sense flash is a streamed technology does the video with in flash automatically get streamed as well? I am glad to find someone else also walking through the process of deciding. Thanks again for the post!

um, when i said http streaming, i mean progressive streaming, which is when , like when you go to apple.com and watch trailers, the video is one file that actually downloads onto your computer as you are watching it - usually bufferring a bit first so it will play continuosly once started.
    STREAMING streaming, (the other kind of streaming) is the kind of thing you see on large news websites like CNN and BBC.co.uk where the file is streamed to your computer but no file accumulated there. this kind of streaming adjust to the bandwidth available at the time and usually has a pretty poor image quality (which is why apple uses progressive streaming, it also requires a streaming server and for small fry's like us i think it's all just a big hassle.

yes , people will see your flash video if they have flash, (i'm pretty sure).

no your video needs some help to stream in. please be more specific what your question is and I can probably help you out
    grey

Those apple trailers are great. The server that is hosting me has a server dedicated for media storage for Real/Windows players so I think I am setup for streaming. I have Adobe Premiere 6.5 but I don't have the option that allows for the 'Save for Web' function. The trial version had it but the program wouldn't run it was called 'Cleaner' and 6.5 didn't come with any cleaner. I was assuming that I need the 'Save for Web' function so that the files are saved in the right format for streaming. Is that correct? What would you suggest as far as software goes? Again, thanks a lot!

to compress video files for http streaming on the web I use:

- Cleaner 5, to make Realplayer and Windows Media PLayer files
    - Sorenson Squeeze, to make Quicktime and Flash files

I think if you look around on these threads you will find other ways as well
    grey