dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I need a rotating anti-clockwise nav symbol to rotate clockwise with same easing

I need a rotating anti-clockwise nav symbol to rotate clockwise with same easing

Hi,

I've got this navigational emblem (symbol or object or whatever) that rotates anti-clockwise 90 degrees when the mouse rolls over an invisible button that's placed over the top and bottom part of the emblem.

Check out the attachment - you'll see what I mean.

Now, I'm trying to get the emblem to rotate "clockwise" 90 degrees when the mouse rolls over the bottom part of the emblem (I want the top part to stay anti-clockwise). To do this I have split the invisible button into 2 separate buttons. The top button called "Top Hit Panel" and the bottom button called "Bottom Hit Panel".

Now, it seems to me that I need an action script to go on the bottom button that will cause it to play backwards on the "Nav Bar" timeline. The only thing is, is that it must have the same easing as when the emblem rotates anti-clockwise. It will need to ease out +100 so it will have the same 'slow down before it stops' effect.

If anyone can help with this, then that will be absolutely MAGNIFICENT!!!!

Thanks heaps and HEAPS!

Blastbum

Hi,

Dont know if this is what u looking for...but try it out:

Cheerio
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RanTen
    Unrepentant Rebel & Boat Rocker
    http://ranten.celltrix.com

Nice job. Love your work RanTen.

I understand the concept you're getting at, but would that be workable in applying it to the "rotationissue" fla I posted with my original question?

Sure, the clockwise and anti-clockwise "hour hand" works fine, but what if the user wanted to move the object 90 degrees clockwise (or anti-clockwise twice? Or three times for that matter? Also, will it be able to be synchronized with the text "About Us" & "Our Product" etc moving along on the motion guide? (See the "rotationissue" attachment).

Once again, great effort with what you did for me. If you get a chance, check out the nearly finished site here.

You'll get the idea of what I'm after.

Once again, LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!

Blastbum

Okay first I would like to begin by asking you a question, where did you come up with a name like BlastBum?! hehe, sorry just had to know.

Anyways, I took a look at the website you were working on. Great work, love it. But I just decided to pass on some information to help it be better. On the Products page you have the first sentence as:

"Without a doubt, the hallmark of Special FX Painting's success is none of than its revolutionary product."

Shouldn't that read:

"Without a doubt, the hallmark of Special FX Painting's success is none other than its revolutionary product."?

On the FAQ page one of the question reads:

"How how will you take to complete the work?" it should be "How long will you take to complete the work?"

On the About Us page, I'm not sure about this one... I've never heard of the word but then again I am no english major either...

"Tim, along with his highly specialized team have envisioned...."?

Okay I'm done. Hehe. Normally I don't notice things like that, but when it comes to company based websites I personally like to make sure all the gramatical and spelling errors are all fine tuned out for release time. Although I love the website and your work, keep it up!

The only suggestion I could give you for the wheel to rotate it clockwise would be to setup the rotations so then if mouse moves over the one on top, gotoAndPlay(upperWheelFrame); if you catch my meaning on that one and if its on the lower one gotoAndPlay(lowerWheelFrame); where these two variables point to starting frames in the rotation animations. You would of course need two rotation animations for each window frame on the wheel, one of it rotating down (if it's on top) and the other rotating up (if it's on bottom). Each end of the animation would of course require a call to stop(); but that would be my solution to that even if it's not the best one. This also would have no affect on how many times the user wanted to rotate the wheel in either direction.

Hope any of this helps!
    Tyouk

WOW Tyouk!!

Thanks heaps for your valuable input. Yeah, I know. Derek Zoolander probably has better grammer than me. Then again, I must point out, that it was very late at night when I wrote that copy text. Actually, I was sort of half expecting my client to give me new copy text to go in its place anyway. Thanks for your helpful feedback once again.

The only suggestion I could give you for the wheel to rotate it clockwise would be to setup the rotations so then if mouse moves over the one on top, gotoAndPlay(upperWheelFrame); if you catch my meaning on that one and if its on the lower one gotoAndPlay(lowerWheelFrame); where these two variables point to starting frames in the rotation animations. You would of course need two rotation animations for each window frame on the wheel, one of it rotating down (if it's on top) and the other rotating up (if it's on bottom). Each end of the animation would of course require a call to stop(); but that would be my solution to that even if it's not the best one. This also would have no affect on how many times the user wanted to rotate the wheel in either direction.
    Now THAT my friend is great input. That's given me alot to think about. I could do a duplicate of the "NavBar" mc and change the direction of the emblem. So, when the mouse rolls-over the bottom window frame. Instead of going to the same "NavBar", it could go to say "NavBar2" and be played clockwise with corresponding easings. My only issue with that is, is that it might be a bit more bulky in the size of the end result swf file.

What do you think??

Blastbum

PS: Oh and by the way, I use the name "Blastbum" cause I love spicy foods such as Indian and Thai, but unfortunately... I pay for it the next day.

Yes if you are forced to make duplicate animations to deal with both clockwise and counterclockwise rotations it will increase the file size of the end resulting SWF. Unless of course you could devise some sort of animation controller where as it will, based on movement of the mouse towards the upper or lower window frame on the wheel, play the animations in forwards or reverse? This would most likely cut back on the file size and at the same time give you the same result. I am, however, too new to flash in order to devise such a solution. Maybe have an outside SWF that communicates with the SWF controlling the wheel and have it monitor such things and output (tell) the other SWF what to do? Not really sure on the actually implementation. So sorry I can't help you with that one.

Sorry had to add something here. For the animation controller, for it to work you would most likely have to have a stop(); call in each frame so then you have total control over how it plays out. This way you could have call each frame individually and at your own pace in order to produce either the clockwise or counter clockwise rotations. So say the nav wheel has frams 1 - 15 dealing with the first frame rotation (as is), you would have to call frame 15, 14, 13, 12, ... , 1 in order to get the rotation to display counter clockwise. Where as to display it the other way you would call it 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, .... , 15.

Hope this helps,
    Tyouk
    Last edited by Tyouk; 10-02-2003 at 11:30 AM.

Yeah, that sounds really cool, but what about easings?

I guess that would be up to you based on your wants or needs, or perhaps the clients wants or needs. Do you want it to animate at the same speed, or do you want it to be faster on one end of the animation or the other? In order to achieve this, set a timer based on the frame calls. If you want easings to be 0 then leave the timer as is throughout the entire animation. If you want it to speed up at the beginning and slower towards the end, then change the timer part way through the animation by spacing out frame calls so it is a slightly longer wait between them. Or make the wait between frame calls decrease towards the end of the animation to speed it up. It's basically what Flash does, well in a sense. Flash goes based on fps, but just make's the images in between that it creates move quicker. However since you already set the easings on the animations juring the project when creating the tweens, then you should already be setup. Just should have to call the frames to be displayed at an even pace and voila, you should have the easings as you desire. However, if you have it setup so then its quicker at one end of the animation already and would like it opposite to even it out for a clockwise rotation you will most likely have to retween the animations with a 0 ease and then use my example above to create the desired affect.

Hope this helps, and I hope my ramblings never confused you! hehe
    Tyouk

MATE!! You have given me heaps to think about.

I think the only road I can go down is if I duplicate the "NavBar" and call it "NavBar2" and change it all so it moves clockwise. Who cares if people have to wait a few seconds longer for that duplicated mc to load!!! At least I know that I can make it work.

Dude... I'm going to bed. It's nearly 2am. My wifes going to kill me. I've still got to prepare my tax return for tomorrow morning. I've got a full day of hard work around the house tomorrow (weeding the gardens and stuff). I better log out now before I go to sleeeeeeeeee zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well good luck with everything and have a good rest. And you better get that tax return done! My mom owns a tax preparation office and I know how strict the government can be with those nasty little forms. Hehehe

Good luck, and keep up the great work.
    Tyouk