A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much for vector illustrationz?

Hybrid View

How much for vector illustrationz?

I wonder, how much would you pay for such vector illustrations? http://www.vectorizedme.com/vector/Porsche.jpg Your opinionz, suggestionz. Thanx.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    whats the market for this product ??

Originally posted by OddDog
    whats the market for this product ??
    Further using in introz, sitez, presentationz, etc.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar

Re: How much for vector illustrationz?

Originally posted by Tommy_S
    ...for such vector illustrations?
    Hey look - you missed an opportunity to use a 'z' instead of an 's'.

Doode, uncool.

As for your question, if this is original stuff, why don't you throw it all on a CD, set up an e-commerce site and see if anyone decides to take you up on the offer.

I could see it being useful to someone - that Porsche shot is OK.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Re: Re: How much for vector illustrationz?

Originally posted by hurricaneone

Doode, uncool.

As for your question, if this is original stuff, why don't you throw it all on a CD, set up an e-commerce site and see if anyone decides to take you up on the offer.

I could see it being useful to someone - that Porsche shot is OK.
    Huh, I was in a hurry, man. As for your advice, hurricaneone, I didn't ask how to use vector illustrationZ. My question waz how much could such cost. So?

For that Porsche shot?

Howzabout $5? Maybe £5? Could even be R$5.

Who knows? That question's about as vague as asking how much are oranges in Istanbul.

I would take your hourly fee and multiple it by the hours worked on this project. This type of illustration could cost $5.00 if you sold it to a clip art collection....or could run $500.00 if you sold it to a corporate co.

The final decision is a little more detail oriented, so try to be a little more accurate if you want a legitimate answer.
    eggheadstudio.com...version 2.0...coming soon

Well, thanx for that. I want to sell such illustrationz to a design company. That'z it. I guezz, I'll heighten the price.

i would refuse to by anything from someone using that z all the time !!

i would refuse to by anything from someone using that z all the time !!
    Hm... what d'you mean?

Re: Re: How much for vector illustrationz?

Originally posted by hurricaneone

Doode, uncool.

Dang Hurricanz, you beat me to it. Zervez me right for coming in l8tR thiz morning.

Tommy, i think what Patrick is saying is that if you are asking for professional advice, you should make an attempt to appear professional.

And i agree with him.

d.
    dlowe93

also that looks like it could be done in adobe streamline in a few seconds. that is why you don't charge your hourly rate. You charge for the quality and how it will benefit the company, not how long it takes.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

I'd love to have MG315's client's. Every project that I have worked on, in the last 5 years has been based on a hourly scale translated into a flat fee.

if i design a content management system and i estimate it will take 20 hours, i charge hourly rate x 20 hrs x 1.2 (allow for error). If I have another client wanting a similar CMS, I don't charge hourly rate x how long it took to set up, I charge the same as the previous client. Just becuase I spend 5 minutes doing it, they are paying for your experience and intellectual property - not just your time.

(knows its a bad idea to compare this to 2a but will do it anyway) do you think 2advanced (assuming their hourly rate is $100/hr) spends 8000 hours working on a project they charge $800,000 for? of course not, the client is paying for their experience and intellectual property, not time.

you can't always base prices off of time. You can never become rich that way, because to make more money you'd need more time in the day. You rather charge for the value of the product. If I use a CMS that originally took $800 worth of time to develop, and provide it to a company who will be able to use it to save them $5,000/yr then I can probably charge more than I would for a small business who makes a few updates a year.

base your pricing off whatever you want. but its been my experience that it's better to quote projects on a case by case basis.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

good point, agreed.

Originally posted by MG315
    also that looks like it could be done in adobe streamline in a few seconds. that is why you don't charge your hourly rate. You charge for the quality and how it will benefit the company, not how long it takes.
    But that wasn't done with Adobe Streamline. Adobe Illustrator + a scanned photo, and it took me the whole day. That's it.

Besides, I don't use such system besed on how long I make. I charge for how good I make this or that thing.
    Last edited by Tommy_S; 10-03-2003 at 01:28 AM.

Besides, I don't use such system besed on how long I make. I charge for how good I make this or that thing.

Without wishing to be nastey or insulting the impression you ae giving of yourself her is not to good. It is not just about how good an illustrator you are, but how professional you are as well. In fact I personally prefer the sencond to the first.

mullet king
    Originally posted by Tommy_S
    Well, thanx for that. I want to sell such illustrationz to a design company. That'z it. I guezz, I'll heighten the price.
    Surely design companies could do it themselves..

You could sell ice cubes to eskimos though, theres an untapped niche

Originally posted by mx_kid
    You could sell ice cubes to eskimos though, theres an untapped niche
    But along those same lines, you actually can sell sand to Arabs - I vaguely remember a while back, hearing about some Saudis buying tons of sand for a beach they were building as the sand of the Arabian desert is too coarse as to be found pleasurable to recline upon.

Tommy_S, I think that the problem is not that you spent the whole day putting that image together, but rather, if you'd had access to Adobe Streamline, you would not have needed to spend all day putting that image together.

Without wishing to be nastey or insulting the impression you ae giving of yourself her is not to good. It is not just about how good an illustrator you are, but how professional you are as well. In fact I personally prefer the sencond to the first.
    Quite right you are. Thank you very much indeed.