dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Console :: is it a hoax?

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Phantom Console :: is it a hoax?

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    A press release is just that, a release for the press - if you pay to have it included, it becomes a commercial. No grey areas here.

you think a press officer for a media company is going to turn down a back hander if offered.. i think not, it happens every day. ;p
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

I'm on their lousy mailing list for the press statments, but no matter what I do I can get rid of the things!

Grrr.

Originally posted by gerbick
    naw, that was X Labs, PAlexC.
    VM Labs, I believe.

Yep. VM labs.

I love Nuon's website. Clean.
    http://www.nuonsemi.com/
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Originally posted by CNO
    VM Labs, I believe.
    good catch, CNO. thanks.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

$10. C'mon, gerbick, you know you want one.

That is an interesting article now that I've actually read it. What a d-bag.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Phantom Console :: is it a hoax?

Originally posted by 1stbite
    you think a press officer for a media company is going to turn down a back hander if offered.. i think not, it happens every day. ;p
    What is this? - Brazilian press officers you're talking about?

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

insane root
    eeeeeeeeeeeeenteresting.

funny thing is it was in ALOT of gaming magazines heh.

Originally posted by gerbick
    good catch, CNO. thanks.
    I'm all too familiar with them. I was originally going to design a site for them until the place I was writing for closed shop. They didn't fare much better with the NUON (I think the only really worthwhile software for it was Jeff Minter's stuff).

They had a great logo, tho. I believe it was designed by the same agency that developed the Nike swoosh.

Dude, Nuon is crap.

PS1 quality games on your dvd player? Whoop-de-damn-doo. There's all of 3 movies that take advantage of it, and my player doesn't do MP3, but it has a 'Virtual Light Machine', go figure.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    That's one expensive hoax. I don't think WhosWe worked for free on that site, and I also don't think there's much to gain by bluffing.

Given the core demographic of the teen-aged game player, their short memory span alone will negate the need to lie. Sony or MS is constantly boasting the latest update or software title, so why have Phantom do all of that which theoretically poses no gain?

Does anyone think MS or Sony for one second got nervous? Not likely. Simply boasting the best machine for the time being is no guarantee for success.

Señor member
    Originally posted by Eyenovation
    That's one expensive hoax. I don't think WhosWe worked for free on that site, and I also don't think there's much to gain by bluffing.

I don't know, in the right "hands" bluffing to sell something of this nature can be very profitable, people will sink all sorts of money into a project that they think they will make a quick and impressive return on.

Take boo.com as an example (different industry entirely I know but), they raised an incredible amount of money based on an appalling business plan which was never sustainable but greedy investors were sold on the possibility of a quick buck and by the time boo went bust they'd raised hundreds of millions of dollars, the owners made a few million and the investors didn't get their money back.

People are greedy, this bloke seems to be offering something that could potentially be worth millions so with the right sales pitch, I'm sure it's probably quite tempting to throw money at it.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

One thing that really makes me doubt it is that their is no Phantom format, such as on Amazon (PS2, Xbox, etc).

Also, no games companies have said they are going to make any games for it at all - and so even if the Phantom did exsist, nobody is going to buy it because there are no games for it!

Originally posted by Eyenovation
    Video games are one of the biggest industries right now - outpacing music and movies in terms of sales. I believe (IANAL) that when you file for bankruptcy, you do not need to pay back your creditors.

This guy has raised at least $25 million in venture capital (having a cool web site is a quick way to get publicity, and a lot cheaper than running a tv ad. Especially when you have no "product" to show besides a box).

Ka-ching! Profit!

And the video game media is all too willing to help this guy spread lies, both out of fear of being 'scooped' by another organization, and total unwillingness to do any elimentary research into their sources. Dont forget - most game publications are basically a public relations shill - reguritating marketing pitches and featuring whatever game belongs to the parent company that sent them the most cool stuff.

Mabey I'm neive but I hopeit's not a hoax. A bit of fresh blood in the video game industry could do wonders!
    subgenius.com

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Originally posted by jamble7000
    Take boo.com as an example
    Yeah, that's a good point. Though, I think dot com era investment tactics had a lot to do with that. During the late 90's anything with a .com at the end of it could raise capital. Fortunes were made and squandered.

I think someone raised a good point in that, without software, you have nothing.

My thoughts on the Phantom have changed....

http://www.clanknm.com/james/

hmmm.

Hmmm, but how did they get Quake on it?
    subgenius.com

well, it is basically a PC. but they announced it could run PC games based off of the custom WinXP kernel. Quake wouldn't be a problem.