A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preloading multiple SWFs

Preloading multiple SWFs

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to preload multiple SWFs, I personally have knowledge of preloading one SWF but how would I make a preloader that could monitor the loading progress of say three SWFs (since that is the number I have to load). Even if an example for two SWFs can be given I'm sure I can figure out how to incorporate the third.

Thanks!
    Tyouk

Three SWFs preloaded

Well here is the thing, your preloader percent and progress bar need to be a function of one of the swfs. The safe way to do this is to simply setup the largest of the swfs to control all your preloader functions and dynamics. Other than that, just have all three scenes below the preloader and set it up like a normal, one SWF preload.

Thats my understanding,
    Good Luck
    -Evan

Okay say that in english for those of us who haven't been doing Flash websites for over 2 weeks

I'm new to this so I wouldn't know how to even do that. Could you give examples? I heard that it's possible to pass information between SWFs, like values of variables. Would I simple have each SWF keep track of their own numbers by say sending the preloader.swf file all their totals (to which it would add them together) and then each would send the currently loaded bytes every say 10 milliseconds by setting up an interval via the setInterval() call? If so all I need to know is how to send that information between SWFs. If not could you tell me how to go about it?

Also, I can't just make the three separate SWFs as scene's in one big movie. It's impossible considering the way the site works.
    Last edited by Tyouk; 10-04-2003 at 12:15 PM.