A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how to create a steam effect

how to create a steam effect

Hi, I am trying to make a steam or flavor vapor animate off of a graphic of a steak. You know like you see in the cartoons where a hot steak or pie is steaming into the air to give the illusion of flavor in the air. How can I make this look right? Would I have to make a movie clip of this some how? or just animate it fame by frame?

Anyone have an example of this
    Eric

can do this must use movie clips

If you animate one wave of steam as if it were a wave of water turned vertically with a desired amount of width to it. Use key frames some distance apart and then tween them back to your original first key frame (by duplicating it and placing it an the end of your series of keys) attach a goto frame 1 action at the end of its timeline then color it a light shade of off white you can make it a movie clip then bring it into the master movie clip with the steak image, bring a second instance in and flip it. Then stretch out one of the instances and line it up next to the first, now there will appear to be two different streams of steam acending next to each other.
    Start them at frame 1 or wherever at alpha 0% and set a keyframe at the point you want them to begin to appear. Set another key frame where you want them to be fully visable but don,t use alpha 100% use something transparent but visable and a different value for both. Have them dissolve on together but set ones first key frame at a later point than the other so the cycles will be offset. Now you can make a mask layer and lower them down below it. Make the mask so that it reveals the streams of steam as if they are coming out of the middle of the steak. to do this after you have your mask in place and the instances lowered below the mask simply put a key frame for both instances sometime after you have them dissolved on to your desired opacity and raise them up into view to your desired height and there you will have it. They will cycle in place continually.

wow, that is a little complicated for me right now. DO you have an fla file that I can see this in greater detail? Thanks a lot I really appreciate it.

No I am sorry I do not have a specific one that would be applicable to this description maybe someone else will be able to help. I could create it for you but you would have to contact me through my site http://www.mcgrathdesigns.com
    Last edited by dondmcg; 10-05-2003 at 12:00 PM.