A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Questions on using new Video player component in Flash MX...

Questions on using new Video player component in Flash MX...

Hello, I am wondering if any body has the "How to documentation" on the Muzak video component v1.3. I downloaded this component on Saturday from the extensions area on the macromedia site, and I have had no luck on getting it to work. Please help if you can...

Thanks

Check the notes in the Extensions Manager for instructions. You should be able to open your reference panel in Flash and find the instructions according to the notes.

Thanks for the info...

Thanks for the info. I looked in the reference panel and no instructions were given. I have tried several times to get it to work without luck. Please let me know if any body out there knows how to use this VideoControl component. Last I looked on muzak's website and did not find any documentation.

Thanks

How are you trying to use it? It's designed to be dragged on top of a video instance on the timeline or (acording to the new documentation) used with dynamic content.

I couldn't figure out how to work it dynamically (I only tried for a minute), but I did test it with video on the timeline - and had no problems.

You can also check the authors comments at www.flashcomponents.net

Here is the direct link to his comments: http://flashcomponents.net/comments....k=71&compid=71
    Last edited by Wheels; 10-06-2003 at 04:41 PM.

Alright,

I've been messing around with the Muzak controller for the last week or so anyway (I'm extending it to include a buffering system) - so I went ahead and made the darn thing work dynamically. Here's how:

Add this code to your main time line:

Code:
    MovieClip.prototype.makeVid = function(vid) {
    	this.createEmptyMovieClip("hold", 1);
    	hold.createEmptyMovieClip("targ", 0);
    	hold.targ.loadMovie(vid);
    	hold.onEnterFrame = function() {
    		if (hold.targ._totalframes>1) {
    			hold.attachMovie("FVidControl", "control", 1);
    			this.onEnterFrame = null;
    		}
    	};
    };
    this.makeVid("preview/test.swf");
    Now, go into the component and change a couple of things.

1. On the last line of the videoControlClass() function, change the last line to this:
    Code:
    //if (this._targetInstanceName.length>0) {
    		this.init();
    		this.setPosition(this._parent.targ);
    	//}
    You're just removing the if statement, and changing the name to "targ".

2. In the init() function change to this:
    Code:
    //set target
    	this.setVideo(this._parent.targ, true);
    	this._parent =this._parent.targ;
    This changes the target to targ and resets all the _parent calls to look at this._parent.targ

That's it. Now whenever you want to load a new video instance dynamically you just use the prototype to call from a movie clip. In order to call different movies just change the name of the parameter.

Looks like I lost the fwd and rev functionality - probably has to do with the setInterval and the targeting. I'll try to find some time to fix this soon.
    Last edited by Wheels; 10-06-2003 at 06:20 PM.

Thank you very much...

Thank you very much, I a going to try this out.

Thanks for your time...

Thanks for your time, I am kind of a newbie with these players and I'm over my head with this. I am just trying to play a video using this player, and I am having problems. My goal is to find a video player with a slider in which I can call. Then once loaded, the viewer can fast forward or reverse using the slider.

I place the video control component on the desktop below the video object. Then I enter in the parameters, no luck when I preview it.

Do I need to place a blank video clip above the player and call a .swf to it?

I wonder what I am doing wrong...

You import your video to the timeline - then drag the component out of the library and drop it on the video instance (same layer). That's it, the component will automatically associate itself with the video. You can add the name of your video instance in the parameters pane of the component if you are having problems using this technique - it may help.

Thank you

I tried importing my video.swf to the timeline, and placed the video control on top. I previewed it and the player scaled correctly to the video, but none of the buttons or slider worked. Then I imported the videw.swf to the library and placed it on the stage, named the instance "video". Then I placed the video control player on top and updated players parameters to match the video and preview it. The same result occurred, player became the correct size but none of the buttons worked to control the video.

Thanks for your patience...

You need to import .flv, not .swf. The method I described above would work with your .swf by importing it dynamically.

I have a dumb question, what do you mean by dynamically

Do you mean I need to call it from the actionscipt within the video control player. Or do I need to place a empty movie clip and call the movie to it. Sorry to sound so I naive...

Thank you

Import your video and give it a name in the properties panel, then drag the controller from the library to the stage. Set the name of the video instance in the parameters pane for the component.

That's exactly what I am doing and I am having no luck...

I am doing that at this time, and when I preview it I still have no control of the video. Thank you very much for your time.

Rey

I figured it out with your help...

Thanks for helping me with this project. The problem I was having is that I exported a video out of aftereffects as a .swf. This type of .swf does not work with video conrol player. So I imported a .avi into flash and it created a .swf which the video control player could work with.

Thank you so much for your patience with this.

Rey

not work

Wheels i followed your changes... but the controller doesn't work...
    this is the weird result:
    http://www.lugaresi.com/video/

Sorry,

I wasn't able to get it to work all the way around either.

I'm using the video controller with Wheels' code to work with swf files dynamically. It works great for the most part, but occasionally when opened, some swf files will display like the example that maikid posted (the controls will be at the top of the movie but messed-up looking). It doesn't always happen, which is strange.

Also, when the movie begins playing, the slider doesn't move across to the right, but sits there until the play button is pushed (only after the play button is pushed will the slider begin to move). Is there a way to have the slider begin moving when the movie starts playing?

Thanks for your time and help. Using the video controller dynamically is great, thanks Wheels!

It's really just a matter of initializing the component when you attatch the component. When components intialize they grab these values fromt he parameters panel.

I'm working on similar component right now, and may have the video component sorted out in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, what you want to do is initialize in your attach statement with the parameters, like this:

Code:
    m.attachMovie("loadFile","loaderObject",l,{_x: 200,_y: 180,content: c,src: f}
    Sorry I can't sort it out at the moment...