A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Printing dynamic text! I'm about to give up...

Printing dynamic text! I'm about to give up...

Ok, so I've searched this forum and this question still remains unanswered, I think it would be very helpful for everyone if we can clear this up right now.

How do you print the contents of a scrollable text field if the text extends below the bottom of the defined text area?

In other words, I need to print the entire content if a text box, regardless of which part is currently visible on screen.

This is one of those, it's so obvious it must be doable, but I'm starting to think it's not doable at all.

so there's no-one on this entire site capable of solving this problem??

no-body has tyhe knowledge? no-body has the skill? I'm completely dissapointed.

i'm just gonna bump this every 2 days till someone figures it out.

it's doable! it has to be, there;s books taht tell you how, and tutorials everywhere that make reference to it, so come on someone clear this up.

there's like 40 threads in this forum about this exact question, and not one has ever gotten a real answer......

I dont really understand what you want. Do you mean, you want to be able to scroll a dynamic text box even when the text has exceeded the text box space?

no, i want to PRINT a dynamic text box when it's exceeded the text box space. it could be static text, i still have the same problem.

say you have a scrolling-text box, and you want the user to be able to print the ENTIRE contents of that text box, not just what's visible on screen, how can you do that?

there must be someway to reference the text variable and print the contents...

I suggest you pay a visit to Macromedia. I know there is the new printJob object in MX2004. That may be a solution to your problem.
    gparis

shawnblais did you find the answer you were looking for??

I have the same dilemma but this is with a MC that I have in a scrollpane but the same problem is there as in I can only print out whats viewable in the scrollpane rather than the whole MC.

was the printjob object what you needed, if so could you please post the code you used to print what you needed.

Cheers,

Here's how I've handled this situation:

I create an 8.5 x 11 inch movie clip on the pasteboard of the .fla which is invisible to the viewer of the site.

I have a "mirror" dynamic text box in that movie clip that also gets filled in with the content you are pulling from your text file/database. Then, I use the print command to print just that movieClip when a button is pressed.

i.e.:

on (press) {
    print(_root.MCtoprint,"bframe")
    }

It works great...I set up the 8.5 x 11" MC with a dynamic jpg/swf image associated with that content, a headline that is also dynamically being pulled, etc. etc. In that way, you can completely control what the printed page will look like by embedding a font, etc.

Best,
    Tom

can you tell me exactly how this printing was done? did u have to put any code in other than what you have mentioned so far? i have several movieclips with text in them. i want to have a print button on each section so i can just print that particula page or section. i dont really get what you hacve said so far. i have tried what you wrote and it is not working for me yet. any help would be good.

thanks

well we've got it print now (well I paid someone to do it), but if the content of the scrollpane is more than 2 pages of A4 long it shrinks the content down so that it fits on all of one page thus making all the text unreadable, if it can fit on one A4 page then it reads fine but any more it's buggered.

Still needs some work then, so if anyone can pass me any information it would be appreciated.

regards,
    Adam Davies

Originally posted by cotc
    shawnblais did you find the answer you were looking for??

I have the same dilemma but this is with a MC that I have in a scrollpane but the same problem is there as in I can only print out whats viewable in the scrollpane rather than the whole MC.

was the printjob object what you needed, if so could you please post the code you used to print what you needed.

Cheers,
    mm, great work man, that's an excellent work around.

Thx!