dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CVS and Flash

CVS and Flash

Hello all....

Anyone know if someone has managed to get a CVS server working with Flash files?
    Because of the binary format of FLAs it seems a bit unlikely, but i'm hopeful...

I've been doing a lot of development with people the other side of London and IMing back and forth our latest releases is a stupid way to go about collaborative development.

There's a lot of talk of cvs-wrappers that deal with binary formats around the web, but I've yet to find one for Flash. I suppose the wrapper would have to deal with the specific fla format, which is closed...so probably no luck there then.

Anyone?
    Sam

SJT,

We are using WinCVS here at work...
    While it will not do the merges and diffs on a FLA file like it would with an ASCII format file, it will version them.

In other words, if two people are working on the same file at the same time and then save, they won't merge, but they will be versioned. Same goes with all other binary files like images.

WinCVS does a stellar job at merges and diffs and versioning with all ascii formats, though.

Are you actually looking for a CVS that will merge two files and update an FLA? I have never heard of this even being a possibility, but can see that it would be a great thing to have.

I would be interested to know if you find anything.

Jay

Yeah, I can't see it being possible really what with the binary format...just dreaming I suppose

If I ever find a binary capable versioning system, I'll be sure to post...but don't hold your breath!
    Sam

Our team has been using Flash and CVS for quite a while. We use IM to ensure that no 2 ppl are modifing the same file at the same time.

We also ensure that we always 'update' before commensing new work (as with any file format).

But when using binaries we try to 'commit' with very detailed 'comments' of the changes made.

Hi,

so you guys want flash in ascii, and mergeable? It's no dream, it is ming

Musicman

I've heard of, but never used Ming.
    Having had a brief look, I can see how great it would be, but I don't like the idea of building object orientated flash in it...which is what I do these days and is half the reason I'd like CVS to work.
    Suppose it's time to get MX '04 and start using external class files a la Java...
    Sam

Originally posted by SJT
    Suppose it's time to get MX '04 and start using external class files a la Java...
    We have it here at work, and it is truly a production team dream. I'm thrilled with the leaps made in '04.

It still doesn't solve the versioning problem though, really.