dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: advice needed

advice needed

I am new to swish and I need your help. However, this is against your posting rules a little but my question pertains to them.

I am working on this site for this rock band and I would like to know how you can tell whether your site should be full swish or partial. I have the intro as swish. and the nav as swish but the rest is just boring html.

www.destinyfaire.com

Is there any tips as to when you should do 100% swish. take a look and help me out.

also do I need to do a percentage loader? it seems like that is the cool thing to do. (every one else has it but me) It is necessary in my case.

help me out. also the "listen to music" part has no swish. Do you think it would look better if it were swished up a bit.

thanks for your comments. I do mostly video editing so the web thing is abit new to me.

Gary roberts
    http://reelediting.com
    Gary Roberts

Hello,

About the preloader question, im on cable, so i didnt have to wait for it at all. I think preloaders look nice, even if they are there for only a few seconds, i think it adds a nice effect to the site.

Tutorials on how to make them are on www.swish-tutorials.com

now, about making an entire site with swish. I like to do so, i dont like mixing html with it unless i have to (forms ect ect, and if i do that, then i only add a pop up). It gives the entire site more effects and is much more interactive with the user than html could ever be. It is however a bit slower since the user's computer has to load the entire file in order to see it unlike html where it loads piece by piece. But if you add a perloader, i think it looks fine.

So after all that nonsence. I would say that atleast for me, I like making things in 100% swish. But thats just my opinion

Ozzie

thank you

If you are dealing with say hundreds of pages of info it probably wouldn't be a good idea?

Does my site look okay the way it is? I am already into for too much time as it is and I need to know if it is professional enough to get by.

gary
    www.reelediting.com

I will definitely try 100 swish on my next outing.
    Gary Roberts

It is best not to use pop-ups for the main structure of your site. Also, splash pages are not advisable, because they can lead users away from your site.

A few things.

Stay away from dark backgrounds when
    you want to look professional.

Keep the focus on what you and your site has to
    offer not on what other sites offer.
    If you want to do banner exchange keep
    the linkage off center.
    The focus should be on what you do not what others
    are doing to help you.

Keep it simple
    Easy to use easy to understand navigation.
    Services, Products, About us, Clients, Contact

As for Rock bands.
    Remember the idea is to sell bookings first.
    Set up a community base second.
    Bookings pay bills for the artist.
    Community base keeps the crowd inter3ested in
    the band and coming to
    gigs. And shows potential bookings that
    the band has a following.

thank you

thanks for your comments. My background is dark, I know but it kind of goes with the theme. To change it would mean redesigning the entire look which I do not have the time to do.

Having my main structure as a Popup.

Is is really that bad the way it is? Like I said I am trying to not put much more into the design of this thing so I am wondering if it is good enough for now?

www.destinyfaire.com

gary roberts
    Gary Roberts