A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MPEG movie size

Flash Designer

MPEG movie size

I'm working on a flash CD presentation that has 21 short MPEG movies in it that all together are about 50M in size without being Flash. Once they are in Flash the .fla file is 100M and the .exe is 98M. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why this file size is so big. There is nothing else going on in this movie to cause it to be so large only the MPEG's. In the past when I have made the CD presentation the .exe is always about half the size of the .fla file. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Still Racking my Brain,

Keep in mind your mpeg's are compressed. By converting to Flash you are simply recompressing.

Could be your export audio setting or the framerate in Flash. What framerate and bitrate are you using for the flash videos?

Flash Designer
    I'm keeping the framerate at 12 fps and importing the MPEG's at at keyframe interval of 48. when exporting the sound I do NOT have the override sound setting checked. All the sound is MP3 and not much file size to it.

I'm not sure what to tell you.

I don't usually convert .mpg as I'm on Mac and it's simply not an option. I usually convert my .mpg's to .mov (Sorenson) then convert to Flash.

Flash Designer
    thanks for your input

What software do you use to convert your MPEGs to MOV? Quicktime Pro?
    PC | 1.7GHz P4 | 256MB RAM | FLASH MX | IE6 | WIN XP | BROADBAND

It's actually a long process on the Mac.

You have to use bbDEMUX to split the tracks (audio and video) then you convert the sound track with mPeggerDrop Decoder - then recombine the two in QT pro to .mov then go to .swf.

It's been awhile since I had to do it - so you may want to search the forum for bbDemux to find a thread I wrote when it was fresh in my mind.

(Headspinning)

I've had similar headaches taking MPEGs back to AVI. Take it into Adobe Premiere recapture video only. Use Cool Edit Pro to strip the audio off as wav file. Then Use Cool Edit Pro to combine AVI with wav file.
    PC | 1.7GHz P4 | 256MB RAM | FLASH MX | IE6 | WIN XP | BROADBAND