dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is there a reason..

Is there a reason..

...that when I open the .swf the movies I have a link to that are told to open in _self open in the same window, however, when converted to a projector (.exe), the movies open in a seperate window??!?

How can I combat this?

Thanks,

Matthew

Because when playing in the projector, it's a standalone, not a window in the normal sense. Using _self in the exe spawns a new window because there is not one already open.

is there a way to get round this?

Well, the _self thing is a browser command. If you don't want a new window opening in a browser window, I think your going to have to fake it and load that external swf to a level or a target clip in the main movie, just as you would in a regular movie. If you want to replace the exe with another movie, then load it to root. I've only tested this once to see if it would work, and it did. You'll have to try it yourself.

thanks, but I'm loading an .avi and a .mov and you can't load them into a target clip with Flash 5 as I understand... so I guess I'm stuffed.

Oh well.

Thanks for you help though,

M.

Aren't you able to create a movie clip instance and call it say ... mcholder, position it where you want and then use
    LoadMovie("MyMovie.avi", "mcholder"); wouldn't that still work in Flash 5? That would load a movie clip into an instance in Flash MX but I haven't worked with version 5 so I'm not sure if this capability was with version 5 or not.

Hope this helps,
    Tyouk