dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Making one layer not loop while another loops?

Making one layer not loop while another loops?

Download my file: http://www.rdi1.com/personal/banner.fla

If you look at my file you will see what I mean.

The guide animation (top layer) is supposed to loop (and it does). The 'IRA' layer I only want to play once, then stop. I have the objects option set to "Play Once", but obviously I don't know what I'm doing so it doesn't just play once.

Thanks for the help,
    Matt
    Last edited by mattboy_slim; 05-16-2004 at 06:56 PM.

Banned
    Layers cannot loop (or not) independently. They either all loop, because your movie is looping, or don't if your movie ain't looping.
    Put your guide animation in a movie clip, and put that movie clip on that layer... It will then loop independently than the main timeline which can then even be stopped, and the movie clip should still loop.

Sorry, that went way over my head. How do I put my guide animation in a movie clip?

Banned
    Copied your animation and title in new movie clips which I then inserted on their own layers. Deleted your old layers, and stopped the main timeline on it's first frame. No need to loop the main movie.

Notice I added a stop action at the end of the title mc, otherwise it would of looped itself.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks oldnewbie, that was more than helpful. Works perfect now.

So how do I create a movie clip from an animation like I had? Do I need to convert it to a symbol? (Right-click object, --> Convert To Symbol)

Also, I noticed that the bottom layer is called Actions. Looking at some Flash projects the last 2 days I've noticed that a lot of projects have that bottom layer named "Actions". Is that just a common practice, or does Flash do that automatically. (I've not yet gotten into actions, so bear with me).

Thanks again,
    Matt

Banned
    In your case, what I did was create new symbols (Under Insert-> New Symbol), give them movie clip behaviors, and then paste into these empty clips the frames copied from your original layers. A little tricky when you've never done it, but you will understand the process eventually.

As for the "actions" layer, no it's not automatic. You add a new layer and rename it "actions". It's just a good practice to concentrate all of your actions on this one layer.