dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Compatibility of project files on MAC (?) versus PC (fla)

Compatibility of project files on MAC (?) versus PC (fla)

I use Flash MX on
    Hi people, i have a question.
    When i buy a Macintosh, can i the use my fla files from my Window PC? Is it compatible?
    Please take it that i have no experience with MAC.
    How does it works?
    Is MAC better for flash developing or shall i stay on Windows?
    When i save my fla? file on MAC, can i use this file on Windows PC?
    Thank a lot.

Jan

From what I know of flash .fla files they are completely compatible between MACs and Windows systems so you should be able to interchange them. For the image aspect of creating websites I believe that it would be best to turn to a MAC system, however, I do not believe that it would make all that much of a difference. Its really just up to the opinion of the one creating the website.

Hope this helps,
    Tyouk

Agree, it's what ya used to.
    I use a mac cause I was bought up on one, I am a designer by trade and its industry standard. I feel the user interface, is more user friendly in general (using OS). Having said that though - XP is good and is nice to use.

If you design a website it would be more useful to test on Mac because that is where problems occur (unless someone can correct me!)

Plus - I LOVE my Mac, it looks nice, is fast and you don't get viruses. BUT it is a little more pricey, mind you, you don't need to upgrade as much.
    AD

RE:

Thank Alistair Dance and Tyouk, my qustion is more clear now.
    I have seen MAC 1-st time by my friend and i was really fastinated. I have some experienties with Flash under Windows and i have qustion now. Can run my flash swf from MAC under Windows on the same way? Where can i get more informations about this topic: "Compatibility developing WIN Flash MX versus MAC Flash MX".
    Thanks Jan

Dude,
    They are both compatible with each other .swf, .fla, .jpeg, .gif. Anything!!! from mac to PC, as long as they have the correct syntax at the end.
    Flash on PC is EXACTLY the same as flash on a Mac, there is no difference what so ever. If your buying a computer then it should be the Operating system you should look at (i.e OS X or Windows XP). Flash is developed for both platforms and there is no difference.
    Catch ma Drift?
    AD

Re:

Originally posted by Alistair Dance
    Dude,
    They are both compatible with each other .swf, .fla, .jpeg, .gif. Anything!!! from mac to PC, as long as they have the correct syntax at the end.
    Flash on PC is EXACTLY the same as flash on a Mac, there is no difference what so ever. If your buying a computer then it should be the Operating system you should look at (i.e OS X or Windows XP). Flash is developed for both platforms and there is no difference.
    Catch ma Drift?
    AD
    Alistair Dance thanks for your answer. And what about testing in browser? Is normally develop a flash website on MAC for WIN platform?
    It means: I make now one site on PC and test in IE and then publish on the net for WIN users.
    If i buy a MAC and develop Flash site for WIN, must i then make browser tests on PC? Is it not more complicated for work? What would you recommend?

Thank you Jan

IE is the same as flash, i.e it is an application and works the same on both Mac and PC. The internet is universal you should be access any website from any browser. That is the theory anyway!!! ......There are exceptions - with html sites Viewing can get distorted because of certain issues, primarily between Netscape and IE - **** to do with layers and stuff, I am sure someone else will inform you of known issues..? Also if you have an earlier browser it may not support certain criteria, but that's HTML stuff and its rare that this occurs, espeacily if you are a newbie!

With Flash all you need is the correct plugin version (depending on what version of flash you have, i.e Flash 5 requires a flash 5 (or greater) pluginfor thier browser, and that's it! Hence why it is standard that you are asked "do you have Flash 5 plugin?" at the beginning of most Flash sites.

So, in answer to your question, No it does not matter what computer the viewer sees you Flash site on, as long as the have the correct plugin (dowloaded from http://www.macromedia.com)

hope this explains it
    AD

P.s I hope you understood all that, I didn't!!! You should really speak face to face with another flash developer, it would be easier to explain!

Originally posted by Alistair Dance
    IE is the same as flash ...
    Alistair Dance, thank you for your anwer. I understand the problems with flash player versions etc. I work with flash from version Flash 4. I undestand the problems with browser too. I want get in MAC word and my general question is. "Has sence buy a MAC and develop flash project on this way?" I think i need MAC version of Flash, another graphic programs for MAC, etc.
    "Isn't ist to much restriction in this case? Or shall i stay on WIN? " But i want try the work with MAC so much. For me ist it step in the unknown. I'll see...