pictogram in illustrator

Hi everyone!!

I've built a pictogram in illustrator 9 out of single paths (they're not
    closed shapes) and now I'd like to know how can I connect them into one big
    shape.
    Can anyone help me on this?

thanx
    Dani
    have you ever had that feeling where you don't know if you're awake or still dreaming?

this is probablly the most frustrating thing for me in illustrator. but you need to open up the pathfinder tools. select the paths that you want to connect and click on the well i think its the first button but i forget what its called...ok maybe someone else should answer this

Hi can u post some screenshots of what u are trying to do, might also be handy to post what it looks like when u press ctrl + y (option/apple + y on a mac) so we can see the paths etc

i dont know the job but if u have A B and C (see attatched image picture 1) u cant join them together (but u can select them all and group them) so when u click and drag they all move as one

if (see image #2) u have several objects that touch u can select them all then in pathfinder menu select combine > unite (run your mouse over them it will give u the names)

as u can see from #3 if u do this with 3 separate colours they will become one shape and will only hold one colour

the other way to do it is to group them (select all objects) "object" and group ctr + G

is this what u are trying to do ?

bp
    Attached Images Attached Images

noodle baker
    Hallo Phoenix, astroflux!!

thanx for the reply, but what I meant was that I have this pictogram built of single lines single lines and I want it to be a filled shape like this

So, the question is, how can I connect all those lines into one big shape?

10ks in advance
    Dani
    have you ever had that feeling where you don't know if you're awake or still dreaming?

The easiest way I can suggest would be to bring the entire thing into Flash (either by copy/pasting, or exporting a .swf file from Illustrator). This will give you a bunch of grouped symbols - select all and break apart (CTRL-B), then select and delete the areas that overlap to get a single solid shape.

This is one instance where Flash's quirky method of auto-connecting lines comes in handy.

Then, of course, you can copy-paste back into Illustrator if you need to.

noodle baker
    Hi CNO!!

I like your idea, and that's what I'm going to do, way faster and easier...but anyway, I'd still like to know how to do it in illustrator, even if just to broad my horizons

(OT: nice footer, have u seen this already : http://www.crunchweb.net/87billion/
    Heil Bush!!!)