A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MediaDisplay woes - Flash 2004 Pro

Works pretty good, although the buffering stalled on me quite a bit - probably just high traffic time.

It broke on me when I clicked on Voice Overs after Video. I clicked on Pictures then went back to Media - and it broke completely.

Not to be critical - just pointing out the issues.

btw. Code brackets are "[]", so I fixed.

thanks

thanks Wheels. It has never broken on me before... I just checked our traffic and it has spiked 400% since this afternoon which I think is delaying everything a bit.. Just takes a bit of time. We are working on the buffering issues. Speaking of which... I am looking at how I can buffer using actionscript. I have been looking through all of the documentation and nothing. I was thinking of using a for loop or a setinterval() and judging the time. Any help would be appreciated.

It get' a bit trickier with .mp3's and .flv's because there is no way to monitor the progress in time. Plus, they both transfer packets, so it's really just an estimate of the total file at any given time. Duration only measures the amount loaded in time.

So there are some variables to work with.

I've been playing around with a couple of ways to do this with .mp3's and .flv's. I was hoping that MM would finally give us access to that.

I'll keep you posted if I learn something new.

btw - I'm on Safari (Mac of course).

I have an AVI Im working on, how can I get these components to work with that?

Also what do you mean by upper left hand corner?
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF
    See full complaint here > www.actionfx.net/complaint.htm

Hola Moodvibe,

I am a newb to mx 2004 and have been trying your code and still struggle to get the playlist to function. Aslo, is it possible to get all videos from the playlist to buffer at the same time? so, when selecting a link from the playlist the video will play right away instead of having to wait.

Last, I would certainly be interested in the fla. If possible, please send at Demonj21@comcast.net. Thank,

Antroy
    Antroy

I will post the .fla when I get home. The way I have been bufferring (progressive download in this case) is by loading the other movies in a very small movie clip for a certain amount of time while one plays. This movie clip is hidden and playback is paused so the video can download in for a certain amount of time. You have to be careful about loading movies in this way as you can crash peoples computers who have slower processors and less ram. It really comes down to how you optimize your movies.

http://www.mirrorballproductions.com is another example of this system.

Re: Re: I have a solution!!! (I think... please check.)

Originally posted by TRJNET
    For media-controller to media-display, do you mean by behaviors or ActionScript ?
    Actionscript.
    Surely you know how to attach the items using the relevant panels?
    When you do this, the actionscript is written for you.

Have a look at the download I posted above (I think).
    If it's not there, let me know.

Re: my way around !!

Originally posted by moodvibe

mov1,mov2 ...etc are all buttons which load my flv's into a movieclip called mov, which holds my display and components. display component u is called screen !!!
    Tried out what u described, 2 questions, did you use coding on the buttons ? (i made button symbols with the "mov1, mov2, etc" names). 2nd question, are those mov1, mov2, etc buttons supposed to be located within the main "mov" movieclip where the components are located ? If so, thats what I might be doing wrong.
    consultant / contractor / designer

Here is the source
    here

You need five .flv files for this to work. You can have more... but you'll have to add the buttons.

They are setup up to work with the following names but those can be changed in the reel.fla on the actions layer. You will have to change the name and the time of the first clip in the component inspector as well !!

The names I used are
    trial.flv
    one.flv
    two.flv
    three.flv
    four.flv
    five.flv

The times will have to be changed to the length of your movies so the playhead scrubs properly. This is also in the reels.flv.

The about.swf is only loaded to unload the reel.swf
    It is all loaded into a movie clip in the index called content.
    I think the loader system is actually a tutorial on Flashkit somewhere. I apologize to whoever wrote it for not knowing. It's a great little trick though.

Lastly. This works for me. It might not work for you. My code is jumbled and not really organized.I have just recently started getting back into Flash after a 2 year hiatus so it might look a bit sketchy. If it helps cool. There are lots of ways to do this. This is my way.

See ya

I can (generally) get my flv videos to play now (thanks for all the great advice, folks), but if the user doesn't have the lastest version of Flash, the videos look like dancing white boxes. I have the version in the embed tag on my entry html page:

codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0"

But not all browsers seem to recognize this. Sometimes it prompts the user to download the latest plugin, sometimes it doesn't. I published my swf's as Actionscript 2.0. Any suggestions? Any script out there that I can put on my entry page that will more accurately detect the user's Flash version?

Thanks!

Originally posted by moodvibe
    Here is the source
    here

You need five .flv files for this to work. You can have more... but you'll have to add the buttons.

They are setup up to work with the following names but those can be changed in the reel.fla on the actions layer. You will have to change the name and the time of the first clip in the component inspector as well !!

The names I used are
    trial.flv
    one.flv
    two.flv
    three.flv
    four.flv
    five.flv

The times will have to be changed to the length of your movies so the playhead scrubs properly. This is also in the reels.flv.

The about.swf is only loaded to unload the reel.swf
    It is all loaded into a movie clip in the index called content.
    I think the loader system is actually a tutorial on Flashkit somewhere. I apologize to whoever wrote it for not knowing. It's a great little trick though.

Lastly. This works for me. It might not work for you. My code is jumbled and not really organized.I have just recently started getting back into Flash after a 2 year hiatus so it might look a bit sketchy. If it helps cool. There are lots of ways to do this. This is my way.

See ya
    Yeah I basically did the steps you laid out, but all Im really wondering, is did you use any addition coding on-top of the buttons, and should i put the buttons symbols inside the main-movie clip ?

k i emailed MM for a solution, they helped me Is coding similiar to what u are using moodvibe ? ;P

on (click) {
    _parent.videoDisplay.setMedia("video_1.flv", "FLV");
    }

Exactly the same thing although they are using a button to trigger the media component and I am using movie clips as buttons to trigger the components. Again... if you reach the same conclusion.... it's fine.

Maya * ActionScript Addict DangerAhead's Avatar

setMedia

Guys,

if you use setMedia, you have to set the path to the .FLV file relative to the FOLDER the flash .SWF that's playing it is in.

so if you have a separate folders for "flash" and one for "flv",

the link to the .FLV file is up one level then down into the flash folder like so:

Code:
    myDisplay.setMedia("../flv/video.flv","FLV);
    because the flash file swf has to look up and over into the folder next to it.

It's not natural. I hope Macromedia fixes this ASAP.
    I looked into some of the Classes for the Media components and they're definitely not ready for primetime.
    Geordie Martinez
    www.citizenparanoid.com | email

how do you load the movies from a web location using an local projector?

Never mind problem solved. Could not deletet this thread.
    Last edited by cancerinform; 06-25-2005 at 05:37 PM.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

YOU.... Can be my wingman ANYTIME!!!! LOL! I have had similair problems as most others in this thread and your suggestion of attaching the MediaController to the MediaDisplay (and not the other way around) did the trick.
    Thanks! Merci! Danke! Graci! And again I say thank you! You have saved my sanity!

J