A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: text outlining! help!

Unhappy

hey,
    i am trying to get a simple outline around text. say the background color was black i want to have some black text but have them outlined in white. i tried to just make white text a little larger or bold behind it but it doesnt look right. Is there a way i could do it with masks???
    please help me!
    thanks
    shawn

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

You can break the text up into curves and use the outline tool to make it that way. This will increase the file size. If you can find a font that has both an outline version and a fill verison would be the best solution. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

[This message has been edited by Pope de Flash (edited 02 April 2000).]

try this...

break apart the text, then go to the tool bar and select >modify>curves>soften edges.

Then you can select the middle of the text and delete it (you might have to zoom in a bit). This will leave a pretty good text outline.

Of course this isnt an exact science, so you will have to play around with it for the type of font you are useing. Try 4px in the soften edges setting and adjust from there.

Once you have an outline, you can make it any color you want by useing the line paint-bucket thingy.

Thanks bill
    i thought finding texts with outlines and fills would be the easist way but i have seen the effect on many sites and i didnt think there were fills and outlines for all the texts those designers had used.
    thanks again
    shawn

that sounds good too noah..
    i didnt even think that would work.
    i will try and see what i can come up with.
    thanks!
    shawn

Get Squared Away.

Actually, the best way to do this is to break apart the text, and use the ink bottle tool to outline each indvidual letter whichever color and thickness you want. Then you can either delete the center, or leave it as is.

Hope this helps,

Josiah

Thumbs up

Good call Josiah! Thats the answer, couldnt be easier.

I knew there had to be a better way to do that. You learn somthing new every day.

Talking

Thanks guys!
    your lots of help!
    -shawn