A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The Best Preloader ever? Does it exist?!

The Best Preloader ever? Does it exist?!

I've got a standard preloader that I use - the size of my movies tends to be about 250-350k, usually with about 80-100k loading in the first frame. My present preloader does its job, but on a 56k connection, you don't get to see the preloader graphics until about 150k is loaded. Obviously this leaves the viewer with a blank screen for about 20 seconds which isn't very professional. For some reason it seems to take even longer with Flash MX.

I've read about loading up 'spikes' while the main movie loads in the background, but this seems unnecessarily complicated - is there a more efficient way of doing it?

Here's my present preloader code attached to the loading bar:
    __________________________________________________ ____________

onClipEvent(load) {
    totalFileSize = _root.getBytesTotal();
    this._xscale = 0;
    }

onClipEvent(enterFrame) {

bytesLoaded = _root.getBytesLoaded();
    amountLoaded = bytesLoaded/totalFileSize;
    percentLoaded = int(100*amountLoaded);
    this._xscale = percentLoaded;
    _root.loadingMessage = percentLoaded + "%";
    if (amountLoaded >= 1.0) {
    _root.gotoAndPlay("start");
    }
    }

Thank you...

I have the same problem. Not until about 40% of the movie is loaded do i see the loading information.

I've built intors using Swish and Flash 5, no problems with the loading, however since I have switched to MX, I get this delay...

If you find the answer, please let us know!

Really this is me..... mentaleruptions's Avatar
    Well then u both need to click that button called search and search for the username oldnewbie and then find his posts about his preloaders.
    They sort out the problems u are describing so run along and search i no u can find it

note the sarcasm by the way

My Flashkit Submited Movies:
    Guestbook: V.1.0 V.1.2 V.1.3 V.1.4 PHP Mail Form: V.1.0
    My Deviantart page: Link

charmed by the sarcasm and grateful for the help

note the sarcasm by the way
    duly noted and forgotten....

some people are serious @$$holes....

Simple questions require simple answers, if you're here to profess your knowledge and share it, do so...Obviously you have no idea what the answer is...

So I'll take your advice and search out oldnewbie...

If you do a search on ANY Flash forum, you'll find a slew of posts about preloaders. For some reason, people constantly get hung up on them and most people don't bother searching. I understand usually your coding situation is unique, but this question has been asked countless times before.

The problem is caused because you have a bunch of stuff set to "Export for ActionScript" in the first frame. That means it loads before the preloader. There are several solutions for this - the easiest is to create the preloader in another SWF, then use loadMovieNum and bring in your main SWF into level1. (There are some embedded font issues with this method, but that's another subject...)

A simple external preloader using loadMovieNum...

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2...intolevel.html

Thanks marshadabeechy, having taken mentaleruption's advice was spot on, despite the tone, and I understand the issues much better.

I did do a quick search but being busy I'm sorry to say I didn't get past the first 2 or 3 result pages before something more urgent cropped up, so I did what many do as a time-saver and posted the question anew.

I've seen that many preloader questions on the board that I guess the more seasoned users get sick to the back teeth with the issue.

Bit of spleen-venting is harmless, but a polite pointer in the right direction does a better job - if you're going to lose your rag, why bother posting advice?

Originally posted by cbr_f4i_rider
    Obviously you have no idea what the answer is...
    I new the answers it was the fact this question is asked everyday of the week along with others and people just dont search.
    Half the time its faster to search than to waite and ask thats why i was being sarcastic with my response.
    Everyone needs to have a laugh now and then and i do my fair share of helping out on the forums .

But to make life easy here you go:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...ader+oldnewbie

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...ader+oldnewbie

God bless you

Originally posted by Maud66
    Bit of spleen-venting is harmless, but a polite pointer in the right direction does a better job - if you're going to lose your rag, why bother posting advice?
    Im keeping my sarcasm to myself from now on.

Not to sure where i lost my rag at though maybe im not reading the same post as you are ??

I guess the fact i spend hours at a time posting here doesnt count for anything anymore .
    Sit back eat a and then say what the hell he was being helpful by introducing us to that search function here hes a good guy plus i did find the posts for u.

Jeez I feel bad now - do appreciate the help, just being a mean old

x

Has anyone seen the number of preloader movies and tutorials out there? It's like driving at night with your headlights off...

I built mine and works fine on some systems. What happens when I view mine either online or use the streaming feature in mx, I see nothing until 40% or so is loaded. from there everything works fine.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent COUNTLESS hours reviewing, researching and modifying my code against what I have found here, and not one place until this post, did I find someone else had the same problem. I was actually hoping it was a bug in MX, like I said previously I never had the problem with 5 or Swish.

Using a 50kb or less preloader to load a 280kb external swf has not been covered, or at the very least in depth. The external preloaders I have encountered on this site and others deal with loading an external swf that has a tiny file in it. Sure they work fine, great actually, but then again the preloader is only dealing with a small kb file....

IF anyone knows where I can find a tutorial that covers what I am referencing, I would love to see it. small preloader, large external swf to load...yadda, yadda, yadda....

BTW, I also tried applying the preloader in Scene 1, with the main movie in Scene 2, I tried it as a movie clip being called in...I've tried, I've searched and I am grateful to all that have helped...

Now I'll get off the soapbox, 'cause I am sure someone want's to browbeat me

Originally posted by cbr_f4i_rider
    Using a 50kb or less preloader to load a 280kb external swf has not been covered, or at the very least in depth. The external preloaders I have encountered on this site and others deal with loading an external swf that has a tiny file in it. Sure they work fine, great actually, but then again the preloader is only dealing with a small kb file....
    Have u not taken a look at the links i provided ??
    Im using the same preloader oldnewbie created to load big files
    not no 20kb files.

he was being helpful by introducing us to that search function here hes a good guy
    You're kidding right? Now you tell me, how your sarcasm is helpful? If the best you can do is to talk down to someone with your sarcasm and tell them to do something as IF they didn't know how to do, I truly feel sorry for you. You're a waste of air...

Have u not taken a look at the links i provided ??
    Didn't need to, already had it.

Im keeping my sarcasm to myself from now on.
    WHAT and spoil everybody's day? Please don't go mad, just go...

Now to go finish my while you have a

If the best you can do is to talk down to someone with your sarcasm and tell them to do something as IF they didn't know how to do, I truly feel sorry for you. You're a waste of air...
    I think that maybe if u cant take a joke and see the funny side of it then ur the waiste of air.

I didnt talk down to anyone and if thats how ur reading what i said then that makes u a pretty sad person because dont u no the meaning of sarcasm and then a face.

I dont need to spend time here helping and adding files to the flashkit movies section but i do, ever ask urself why ??

Probably not because u havent a clue what ur talking about so if u want to read what i said again maybe u will see the funny side like everyone else has done.

But then again u seem like the kind of person that doesnt want to get of his ass and try and help himself out u just want it all done for u but i guess thats what i should have done ??
    Found u all the information so u could just do nothing while its all done for u.

Plus if u new the search function was there then why couldnt u find the answers ??

It took me one try and guess what i got the answers right away.

Ill just hand all the files over next time someone asks incase u come into the thread and say ur a waiste of air .

Infact i wish a mod would close this thread because its begining to piss me of due to the fact i spend hours helping people and creating files for them to show them how stuff is done and uve just totaly be littled all my efforts.

Jackass

*seperates mentaleruptions and cbr_f4i_rider*

The question has been answered, so let's just quit responding to this thread.