A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: what resolution

what resolution

do you design your webpages for...just tryin to get a simple portfolio sit up.

thanks

I design for 800x600, but I'm gonna try to design for a higher resoulution.

only 5% of my visitors got a 800x600 resolution, all the rest is 1024x768 or above.

maybe this link might be of use : http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...vie_size01.htm

Arr!
    standard is 1024*768
    800*600 is the real minimum, 1280*1024 is fairly common, the resolutions above that are rare.

basically all monitors have the same visible quality/size ratio. such as a 15 inch monitor typically runs in 800*600 with a maximum of 1024*768, a 17" typical 1024*768 maximum 1280*1024. items at the optimal resolution setting normally appear the same size you can just normally see more/less items in the higher resolutions

a typical solution is to either scale things or adjust the space betwean them.
    If at first you dont succeed, parashoot jumping is not for you.

This is a subject you're never gonna be happy about dealing with.

I think the best way to determine a sites resolution is to consider the audience for that site. For instance, if you’re creating a site for yourself, do what makes you happy. If you’re designing for a client, their clientele is who is important. If the client happens to be - say a bricks and mortar distribution co. with an online catalogue, your best bet is probably going with 800 x 600. Though, if this company happens to be a forward thinking advertising firm maybe doing the site at 1024 x 768 is exactly what is needed to address that clients need.

I've taken to doing sites for 1024 x 768; though, making sure the site will display fine in a full screen tooless window at 800 x 600. Then simply perform a JavaScript function from the index page of the site that tests the views screen dimensions and sends them to the appropriate page: 800 x 600 > full screen tooless window; 1024 x 768 > full browser.

Just some thoughts