A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fscommand open a file .exe

fscommand open a file .exe

Ok I've read most of the recent post regarding fscommand and trying to execute a myprogram.exe but its still not working. I've created a subfolder called fscommand and in it is myprogram.exe. Ive also created a button that goes:

on (release)
    fscommand ("exec", "myprogram.exe");

nothing happend what am I doing wrong? it should be simple but I just cant figure this out. PLease help

Banned
    You're doing this from a projector file right?
    Are you trying to open any .exe or opening a specific file through an .exe?

I was trying to open any .exe file. I even tried a projector file and still when clicking on button, nothing happens.

Make sure you are not using an *.swf file to launch the exe's. The swf MUST be a Projector file also.

Also make sure the launchprojector.exe is in the same level as the FSCOMMAND directory.

I thought Flash MX allow you to load any .exe file as long as its in the fscommand folder then it should work right?

Banned
    Yes but from an .exe projector file only, not from a .swf.

A projector file can call another .exe, a .swf can't.

Ok now I see how this works. It has to be a projector .exe file then it will execute the fscommand. Now my question... is there a way to have this execute from .swf?? I need to have this loaded from the web.

Banned
    You want to force run an .exe on a user without his consent? No, it can't be done!

Help!

I'm trying to launch a browser from a projector file and open a specific file into it. Where is the fscommand folder? Am I supposed to put the browser exe in this folder for it to run?

Also - the browser is supposed to open up full screen - does anyone know how to do that??

Thanks!
    Crystal

Banned
    What's this browser.exe you're talking about?

You have to create the fscommand folder, a direct subfolder of the one your projector file lies, and yes, the .exe must be in this fscommand subfolder.

Read up on "exec" here...

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...projectors.htm

Originally posted by Starshadoe
    Help!

I'm trying to launch a browser from a projector file and open a specific file into it. Where is the fscommand folder? Am I supposed to put the browser exe in this folder for it to run?

Also - the browser is supposed to open up full screen - does anyone know how to do that??

Thanks!
    Crystal
    Thanks! I got it to open the browser but I can't figure out how to open a specific file in the browser - is this possible?

Banned
    Note on the same link I gave you above...

Note: exec is not capable of opening a specific file with an application, just the application itself. One way to open files is to use exec to launch a Windows batch (BAT) file or Macintosh AppleScript file that then opens files in the desired application. A third-party tool that can open specific files on Windows without using batch files is available from ***********.

As for using a batch file, see my posts on batch file in this thread, and adapt it for the type of file you're trying to open up...

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...ght=batch+file

Sorry... I should have read further - thanks for your help though!