A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: But some are made of flash!

But I'm very sure that some of the games are made with flash and some of the MTVs are too. So, how do they do that?

How do they do what?

If you mean create games with flash and graphics for mtv - then hell you're at one of the best places online to learn how to do those kinds of things. You just have to get learning, absorb the tutorials, rip apart the open source movies!

HKaplan,how do you rip apart the open source movies!?
    I tried and tried to figure it out,but I am lost somewhere.I've been thru alot of the tutorials,went to the Macromedia site in the help thing and I am still lost to how to view the source of the movies here.One of the banner movies even says to edit the text.txt file and I can't find that.

0patience-

Go to any of the movies in this site and you'll see a link that allows you to download the fla. You will also see links to download fla and swf typers that help you convert these fla's if you are working on mac.

Once they are on your computer you can open these fla's and look at how they were created, go through them movie clip by movie clip. Examine the coding in the frames, in the Actionscript Libraries (if any). Pay attention to every variable and frame label, every action and what it's related to, what effect it has. Then mess with it - just for the hell of it - see what happens when you change a variable value.

RIP IT APART!

For me that was what got me over the edge in understanding actionscripting, particularly since some of the coding is like math that I haven't done in 20 years (literally).

Hell, when I was in college computer graphics were X's and O's on a typewriter. After starting my career I saw what was happening and adapted but it didn't come easy and ripping things apart is what always got me over.

Whoa, went on a little rampage there. Forgive me. I'm a designer, an artist, and I bring that passion to everything. Which may be why, at the moment, I can't seem to get arrested as a designer. But at least I can help others.

By the way, forget the macromedia site. To me the info there always kind of read like stereo instructions. You kind of get it but it feels like they intentionally leave out some important piece of information on purpose.

Get every book you can, absorb every tutorial, rip apart every open source movie you can. Then you'll be thinking actionscript.