dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash CMS, (PHP XML backend). The project started

Flash CMS, (PHP XML backend). The project started

Hi there,

Well I started my big all Project(personal), and alter three days i have a very early version of what i want. A full flash CMS.

Heres the documentation and a test for the Flash CMS Im developing, just read a little and tell me what you think, you think its usefull?

http://www.innocuo.com/flashcms/

Athough it is documented over there, Ill explain in few words again: Im developing a CMS with a PHP backend fully object oriented, that outputs content as XML. Then I have a set of scripts in AS1 that parse the content and load the content where it should be displayed. Simple right?
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

I've been thinking of this too but I see you're using a HTML inputfield to submit new text. Is it your intention to create a flash editor like Josh Dura but then with a output of XML?

I know my clients would like to use an editor based on MS Word or at least something alike not having to use something like vB code or even HTML tags.

Looks good!
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Last edited by Markp.com on 07-23-2003 at 02:25 AM

the problem with text in flash is that it uses deprecated tags (such as the Font Tag), at least in MX, I think that's not an issue anymore in mx2004, although i haven't seen that yet.

Yeah, if you want a rich text editor, yo'd have to use flash or some special features I've seen in Internet explorer (forcin users to have IE in order to use the CMS fully featured).

In any case, I don't want to give a CMS with full freedom for the user, but for the designer. As a designer, you want to keep your design clean, and as you meant it (that's why the user hires you, if the user wants to mess with the design, he'll probably damage it). I mean, if you give the user the freedom to use the fonts he wants, the colors he wants, the font sizes he wants, you depend on his taste and view as a user. With that freedom, he could update his site with pink coloured parragraphs, huge pictures and all kind of fonts. At least I don't see a use in a complete full rich text editor.

What i plan to do is something that lets the designer structure the site (like saying here goes the title, here a subtitle, here three parragraphs, here 2 pics, and on and on) and giving styles (titles are always green or black, bold, size 14, text can be bold or normal, and grey or blue, pics must be 140x140px or 70x140px). You know, I plan to give the tools to the designer to restrict the input from the user, to keep it well structured (so the success of the design will depend on how good the designer structures it). Personally, I don't see a case where users should have freedom to update the site as they please. They should probably be using bold, list, and some color tags, nothin else. Probably they need to put images, you provide places in your structure where they can upload them. If they need tables, you provide places where they can put tables and only tables.

So, in conclussion, i don't plan to make this CMS a plug and play tool like most CMS, but more as a framework for the designer to provide their clients a better service.

So, with a text editor, I'll come up with a way to give some kind of rich text, but limited to what the designer structures.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.