dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Will some one please help me with the textArea

Will some one please help me with the textArea

What do i have to do to get my textarea box to load a MC named "hometext"

Can the text area load Movie clips. How else are you suposed to enter text? There has to be an easier way.

All i need is a text box that is scrollable to display on my homepage. no pics, just text.

And also how come my scroll pane when i try that just shows up as a box with no text when i have the right instance name loaded.

Please help i am pulling out hair over here.

John
    zetaphi1025

Banned

but that still explains it using a scroll bar which isnt available in 2004
    zetaphi1025

Banned
    Do it in MX format then!

The textarea component does not load movie clips. Scrollpane components load clips.

You can put text into the component by typing in the "text" parameter in the properties panel, or you could fill it in manually through ActionScript. Say the component had an instance name of "textScroll", then the script would be:

textScroll.text="This is my scrolling text."

If you want the text external, you could put it into a text file or xml file. Let's say you loaded in some text and gave it the variable name "homeText" and you gave the component an instance name of "textScroll". The Actionscript would be:

textScroll.text=homeText;

When you check the script it says: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler

I am using
    textScroll.text="This is my scrolling text."

With a textarea in the first frame and action in first frame, is that right
    zetaphi1025

If it's giving you that error, you probably put the action on the clip rather than the frame. Make sure you don't have the component selected when you type the action, select the frame.

okay that works,
    i have long essays thought that i need topaste in there, but i guess i can not just copy and paste them, cuase i get syntex errose and leteralerrors.
    zetaphi1025

Well keep in mind you'll need to take out linebreaks and such, it's gotta be one constant string. And you can't use quotes within the text. If you need to format it into paragraphs, use HTML tags.

alright thanks, i will probably just use scrollpane,
    why did they take our scrollbar away...
    zetaphi1025

Why Indeed?

It took me about two minutes to figure out how to drag and drop a scrollbar in MX. I have been researching how to create a dynamically-filled and scrolling textfield in MX 2004 for the last two hours and I am still not close to an answer.

Come on, Macromedia.... what's the deal? Your "tutorials" make no sense whatsoever. For example... use the Help lesson on creating a dynamic text field using scrollpane.

I guess I'll just stick with building my own scrollbars, ala Flash 4.

Anyone have a good -- and understandable -- tutorial on how to create a simple text field with scroll buttons and "smart" slider using MX 2004?

Another rant.... what's with all the missing HELP information? I try to use wizards that don't exist and help screens that are empty. I am starting to regret upgrading to MX 2004 instead of MX. At least I knew how to do things in MX.

Frustrated in Omaha...
    Last edited by DTNFlashman; 10-22-2003 at 01:29 PM.

DTNFlashman:
    use TextArea. Shows scrollbars atomatically when needed.

Anybody know how to dynamically fill up a MX 2004 ScrollPane ??

You can load a clip, but when you attach clips to that one, the scrollpane does not adjust its scrollbars.
    In MX: refreshPane() used to do that, but now it just reloads the path you set it to. Damn thing won't accept instance names anymore.

thanks epowder