A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Simulating a keystroke in Actionscript (not accepting key input)

Animation Enthusiast

Simulating a keystroke in Actionscript (not accepting key input)

I know how to accept keystrokes as input, but i'm having trouble finding out how to do the reverse.

I'm building a promo for a client and they want to kick to Webshots after the promo plays, and to do that you push Ctrl-Shift-S (or something like that) to kick off the screen savers.

Is it possible to have Actionscript *send* keys to the OS rather than just receive keys? Thanks in advance

Also, some background if needed....
    Going to use XP's Task Scheduler to kick off the Promo SWF file, probably every 15 minutes or so, and want Webshots random images to be displayed the rest of the time. If the keystrokes are not possible, is it possible for Flash to kick off a program and then exit itself (the .swf) gracefully until it's next scheduled time?

The whole thing *could* be built in flash, but the randomizing of images, not to mention the copyrighted images, well, the client isn't paying *that* much, heh heh.

Anyway, thanks!
    Last edited by tekchic; 10-22-2003 at 06:08 PM.
    .: tekchic :.
    www.tekchic.com

Flashkit Jedi

Nope, sorry. Flash is very limited on what it can 'do' to the OS for security reasons.

XFM

Animation Enthusiast
    Thanks, that's what I was afraid of... I see ActionScript as a glorified JavaScript and was afraid that that might be the case.

What I may try and do is have the task scheduler run everything, eg, kick off the Flash promo, and knowing how long it would run, kick off the screensaver shortly thereafter.

Thanks for your help!
    .: tekchic :.
    www.tekchic.com

Flashkit Jedi

No probs.

XFM