A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Porduction music

Question

I am looking for ways to license production music for my little flash movie project. Is there any good resourse?

Thank you.

Cool

hey I highly recommend beatnik.com. Not only do they do licensing right there, but they have a huge music library in their search engine (i've checked out Killer, Extreme, Firstcom...and that's just a couple of the music sources they have). I'm fairly new to Flash, and found it fast and easy to use. I've also checked out sounddogs.com. Anyone else know of sites I'm not aware of?

the SoundOrphanage.com also has tracks for license. For more information, visit http://www.ripemedia.com or e-mail info@ripemedia.com

I would agree with Sheryl. Beatnik.com/music does have lots of selection and the process of search and download is very easy. Of course, you can try the traditional "going through CDs" method. It just takes too long.

Cool

hello, Ive been making electronic music for 9yrs, check out my songs at http://www.mp3.com/dafluxtah

I can come up with some sort of licencing agreement depending on my musics usage within a flash production. I can also produce exclusive short/full length tunes for your production for a minimal fee licence, Im not talking megabucks just enough for my efforts, I can also produce any sound, theme for you production.

Ok about the licence, I can provide a licence for the songs and sounds I will upload to flashkit enabling to use them for free, indefinetly for a non-commercial production =)

Custom made music, theres a price, though depending on the length and its usage and the terms and agreements I set for my songs and sounds. It may be little, it may be a lot. Music and a musician is a very delicate subject, my music is written from inside, its not some easy thing anyone can do, its an art practiced like flash4. To hear my music on web sites, that arent making money would be great, ok hands up who wants free custom made music?? who wants to pay??

Smile

Why pay for it?
    You can get it for free here in the Loops
    section.

If you don't here any thing you like then just e-mail some of the musician and work out a deal.

Hmmm gaining something for free, then using it to make no money, is not cool, or respectfull, I dont mind supplying my sounds and music to be used on flash productions that make no profit. Also I think there should be credits to people who do make the sounds, in order for them to better there prospects with there sound and music. HEY!!! =) like me I have my own music, and Im willing to allow people to use it as long as they give me credit for it, also theres tons of artists at mp3.com im sure would love a mail to ask if you can use there music, as long as credit is due, and no money is made on you behalf.

Smile

Well then i must be the only one that thinks that you can't put a price on music.

I do however agree that credit is due
    when something is used.

And i also understand that us musicians
    need to make a living to be able to pay our bills.

Exclamation

Since I'm a sound designer and have worked many times with music libraries, I have to keep in mind two things:

1)If the music is free, everyone uses it and you loose originality...not to mention the fact that your stomach nearly drops when you hit another site that has the same loop that you have used previously.

2)Music libraries cost...the better the library/music, the higher the cost. The cheeper the music, the lesser the quality.

I have a couple of recommendations:

Head to your local music dealer and see ifthey have sample CDs. Preferably with beds and broken down parts. You want the beds. They are usually only a couple of seconds long but when you loop it, it's cool. There are a ton of these CDs out there. They usually cost about $100, though.

or

There's an application called SMARTSOUND. It's lets you customize the kind of music based on the feel of the project by picking the parts. It's gotten good ratings.

or

Use a bit out of a song written by an artist. As long as you don't pass it off as your own and put some sort of credit, it's usually okay. I've seen a site that used a loop out of an ENIGMA song...short, sweet ...aaaand, thye had a bug in the corner shwing the name of the artist and the title.

It's an option.

music and sound effects

Just to add to this a bit... sound ideas carries tons of sound effects and music. If you work with multimedia professionally, and are willing to spend some money to get a few libraries of pro effects and music, there's tons here for you. http://www.sound-ideas.com

Also, like fluxxy, Im a musician and may be willing to create some simpler music for you (for free!) to help build my own library.

http://www.cris.com/~swrogers/

Scott

music for free?

My honest opinion is, OR you don't add loops, OR you make your loops yourself, OR you take a loop and give credit for it, it's that simple. As to using complete tracks, you can forget about it now, nobody will allow you to use their tracks without seeing a LOT of money or very BIG credits. At the end of the day, making a track (a good track) takes about as much time as making an average site, so the credits should be 50/50 on the average site and I know webmasters wont split creds like that.