dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Macromedia's stock loses 35% in one day

Macromedia's stock loses 35% in one day

Looks like Macromedia is in a little trouble. Their stock has lost 35% of it's value in one day due to poor sales in the new flash mx 2004. They better have some patches ready to fix the problem. It also looks like they never offered a pre-release of the product like in the past versions to get feedback.

here's the article from fidelity.

http://activequote.fidelity.com/rtrn..._ticker%3DMACR

Wow. A loss that large should have a preloader.

LOL

Are you sure it's because of low sales? (I didn't find mention in that link) That seems too large for just one product. I'm more apt to believe it's because they just acquired eHelp; it's very common for a the buying company's stock to fall when a merger is announced (don't really know why, not a financial wiz)

I believe it's the merger. Great guess.

If you read the article they say it's largely because of lower sales of Studio MX 2004 than expected.

I hate to take pleasure in the misfortune of others, but the removed features from Flash and Dreamweaver are REALLY getting to me. Here's hoping Macromedia gets back on track (in every sense of the word) soon.

from bloomberg.com

Macromedia Falls After 3rd-Qtr Sales to Miss Forecast (Update1)
    October 23, 2003 11:42 EDT -- Shares of Macromedia Inc., the maker of Dreamweaver and Flash software, fell as much as 35 percent after the company said sales in the current fiscal third quarter would miss analysts' estimates.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

The oldest and best way to send a message that your dissatisfied with a product is to keep your money in your pocket.

Don't let's loose time with crying about the new MX2004. Better start learning and working with AS2 and get some good threads going in this forum. I am getting tired of the numerous threads crying about 2004. Unless somebody has invested in MM they will recover and stay up. Who cares?
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -
    | www.Flashscript.biz | Flashscript Biz Classes/Components |

Obviously we do, or we wouldn't be talking about it. If you don't want to keep the thread going, don't respond.

I was totally looking forward to the release of 2004. All the professional video capabilities, as2, database connectivity, and more, but the product has to be interchangable with MX. Ihave numerous projects that have been started in MX and can't be finished with 2004. A lot of my scripting is non functional when updated in 2004. How is this supposed to get people to buy the product if everything you work on has to be started from scratch. Every time I do something I find bugs in the exported movies. At least with MX. you could have a product that could be partly flash 5 and partly MX. I've been working in flash since version 3 and this has to be the worst mistake they have made since they began. Sorry about complaining, but this is what I do for a living and I expect more.

Peace out.

Developer
    FYI; Macromedia will be releasing a dot release to address the various ide issues... No new features or anything.

http://flashkit.com/board/showthread...hreadid=501583

I must admit I wasn't really that keen to learn flash mx pro 2004 but there are some cool new features, such as alias text and the new components are much better.

Still the data grid component sucks big time, maybe that's what lowered their stock price.

troublemaker