dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: allocating memory on a PC

allocating memory on a PC

Its never happened before, but I got an error when opening an .fla about not enough memory and to allocate more. Google searches and the Macromedia web site only have info for MAC's. I'm on a PC. Can this allocation thing be done or do I have to (assuming) adjust file sizes and re-import them?

My apologies to the mods if this has been posted before. I tried using the search button but it failed twice.

Thanks all.
    Getting better...slowly but surely.

1st option:

Save your work and restart your PC to dump the memory cache completely.

2nd option:

Buy more memory.

Banned
    I'd say a corrupted Mac .fla, opened on a PC! Never saw that message but on a Mac.

I made the file from scatch myself. Worked with it for the better part of day. Saved and tested several times. Just after I closed Flash and tried to reopen it later, problems. Here's the full error:

"there is not enough memory to open this scene. Your document is not damaged and may be safely saved.
    To increase available memory, close open documents or quit and use the Get Info command in the Finder to allocate more memory to flash"

Get Info? Finder? The file actually opens, but all of my graphics aren't in the Library as they should be. When exported there are bright red boxes where missing graphics should be. The name of the original file and the graphic symbol are still in the Libray, but it says "Bitmap not loaded" when highlighted.

Completly lost on whats happening.

Those are Mactintosh OS9 alerts. Looks like a problem with the program itself.
    gparis

Banned
    Looks like you're on a Mac. Haven't you ever allocated more memory to an application before. Use to do it all the time, when working with Avids... Can you try it?

I'm not on a Mac. I wasn't very far into the project so I'm going to try and start over.

I know you can adjust memory settings in Photoshop, I thought Flash had a similar feature given the error. I guess not.

Banned
    Would you have installed a Flash Mac version on a PC? Is that even possible?

I don't think so. I've been using it for several months now. Completed several projects. I certainly didn't order a MAC version!

i got the same message after i traced a very large picture of an apple and worked on it for about 2 hours until i ran out of ram, processor, hard space and oxygen in the room. after that it did not open the fla. i'm working on xp, on a windows-version of flash. and i wasn't able to save anything from that file, so i traced it again only smaller
    the crow

Did you resolve the problem. I just experienced the same thing on a PC with XP and a gig of ram.

Hi, was this ever solved? I have inherited a huge file but my specs are the same as yours XP, GB RAM. Opens OK but waiting 10secs for a mouse click...
    "Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you are probably right"