A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Animation not smooth

Animation not smooth

Hi, i've implemented upwards scrolling news by loop animation:

there are 10 text items one beneath the other and a simple animation of the list going upwards, to make it look as if it loops all the time this list of items repeats the first couple items, so: list of 1,2,3...10,1,2,3 text lines.

the animation of going upwards goes from frame 1 to frame 100, 2 key frames: at frame 1 the list is in x=0 and y=0, and in key frame 100: x = 0 and y 500.

The problem is that the animation is not smooth - it looks as if it scrolls up by jumping small "jumps".. i m using MX (not 2004).

Thanks in advance,
    Maya Malimovka.
    Maya Malimovka

Flash tweens are very processor intensive. Even on a fairly quick processor with lot's of RAM, more than a single tween running at once will show a marked decrease in smoothness. It get's a lot worse on older machines. I don't think there is any fix. You can try and change the layout so the separate items 'jump' into view, stay a few seconds, then get replaced by the next item jumping in. The idea is to use short, quick tweens instead of long, slow ones. Less drain on the processor.

Many thanks !
    Maya Malimovka