A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mobile devices and xml

Mobile devices and xml

Hey, I gotta question for this brand spanking new forum...

Is it possible in theory to write data gathered from a swf to an xml file on a mobile device ?

For example, the Motorola A920 comes with Flash 5. Would it be possible to mail, say, a questionnaire in swf format and a blank xml file; and have the user fill out the questionnaire, and for the swf in turn to export the data to the xml file ?

The reason I ask is that it would be beneficial to a user not to have to remain connected if they wished to fill out a moderately lengthy form. As such, they could download the swf, fill it out in their own time, and then resend the resultant xml file as an attachment.

Can it be done ? Or should I give up and become a bog snorkeller instead ?

Lots of love,

sca xxx

Thanks for the underwhelming response.

In theory, you should be able to use FSCommands with a standalone version to interact with some other application on the device. The other application would act as a helper to save the text file.

I think this is certainly possible with PocketPC OS, but not so sure about Symbian OS. Also it is not clear whether the player for Motorolla is a standalone or browser player (probably standalone).

Also you would need to know the file location of the text file inorder to reload it. Not sure if the Motorolla player supports FSCommands like PocketPC player or if it is possible to save a text file somewhere on the phone and reload it.