A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash lite 1.0 ActionScript

Flash lite 1.0 ActionScript

the prs for Flash Lite refer to Flash 4 ActionScript capability with Flash 5 objects.

can someone elaborate on what this means and how this affects syntax in Flash MX 04?

Do we use Flash 4 syntax or does this mean that we are limited to Flash 4 functions but can still use ActionScript 1.0 or 2.0 for syntax (ECMA compliant syntax instead of the old "basic" like Flash 4 ActionScript)?

In case anyone is wondering...

Not sure why MM states ActionScript 4 with "Flash 5 objects". The Flash Lite CDK has a list of supported ActionScript methods, however, I see no Flash 5 objects supported in the list. Assuming this list is accurate, then Flash Lite supports ECMA syntax but only Flash 4 ActionScript capability.

No using dot syntax with a movieclip object, use tellTarget instead. Use getProperty and setProperty for reading and assigning values to movie clip properties (does not support _url). Use set() to assign values to variables in other timelines.

Use ifFrameLoaded timeline loop for load progress messages.

No String, Math, or Number objects, use Flash 4 string and math functions instead.

No date object, only getTimer()

No Array object, use the eval technique with arrays instead.

It is not clear whether Flash Lite 1.0 supports functions, may have to use a combination of call and set functions to execute code in a frame as a subroutine instead.

No loading of external SWF or data except through getURL.

Does seem to support all Flash 4 and 5 operators (<> for inequality instead of !=) and supports Flash 6 switch and case.

hey, i was wondering about that too, and yesterday i went to a Macromedia presentation of the Mx 04 products, a little late but thats when the esp ver was released, it was boring but u know, no work for that day, blah blah blah, so i only wanted to ask about this, they were braging about this saying how flash is THE TOOL for mobile delivering and everythig.
    So after they finished i asked them, and i guess they werent expecting that because they were like huh. . . yeah. . . they said that they have a deal with the biggest manufacters of mobile devices and that they couldnt say anything but it looks like they were developing something, being the size of the player a big factor, and thats the only reason they gave me, whan asked why we have to use AS 1.0, which is somewhere around F4, in their own words.
    As for i-mode (what i think is the inmediate future of this) they said that they are working with the jap company that developed that and are supposed to develope something too, but once again they couldnt say anything straight, basically untill this market has something more standard and everybody is going to use the same technology i dont think Macromedia is going to do anything to solve that, or at least thats what i got out of them.
    So if u find something please post.

a challenge for Flash Lite in i-mode will be determining whether the user has a phone capable of supporting Flash.

None of the standard client side player detection schemes are likely to work in i-mode, as i-mode does not support JavaScript or META refresh.

It seems the only reliable way for automatic detection will be to use a server process to parse the user agent and deteremine whether the user has i-mode 505 phone or greater.

MM CDK does not provide any information about the i-mode user agent string.

Here is a PHP script for parsing the i-mode user agent string into model,manufacturer etc.

http://www.appelsiini.net/~tuupola/p..._Agent/source/

I wonder if Flash Lite will be a browser plug-in for Symbian phones or a standalone?