A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mx 2004 is unuseable

(thread re-focus) new osx and still no good flash

ok to any brain,

anyone have a clue why i would have the same crashing problems on a fresh system osx 10.2.8, with a fresh download from macromedia of flash mx 2004 pro, if it wasnt the software?

dual 800 g4

any idears anyone? any like systems? and useful suggestions? ( feel free to flame the mac user but at least offer something useful. )
    Last edited by grish; 10-29-2003 at 11:42 PM.

Die Mac user DIE!!!!!

Originally posted by bvgroote
    Die Mac user DIE!!!!!
    how nice.

*yawn*

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

How dare you mock me!

*throws banana*

am i the big fool or what MX 2004 is junk?

at least if you are on a mac dont upgrade especially os 10.2.8 Unless Of Course I Am Wrong And It Is All Me (uociawaiiam).

if you cut and paste text into an existing text block, it will not just take your new text it will jump X + 30 or so Y - 100 or so. nice one, uociawaiiam.

but there is more.
    if you save a file with save as what you get is corrupt. in my case i would try to move a bitmap with click and drag and i would be able to sometimes once some times a few times but it would eventually do the old beachball and die crash. uociawaiiam.

why is there more? why do i keep finding bugs? i am in the middle of a project. you say downgrade flash, i tried that.

lets say you have had enough with mx 2004 pro and that you have decided it isnt any good for you. me for instance. i re-saved all the .fla's to MX so i could downgrade, sweet feature, no? they open ok they edited ok for the few min i had on em but when you test movie. flashMX crashes. i have been beaten and i am the fool.

dont be like me. wait till they fix it before you give them what seems like devolopment loand at 0.0%, and i'm sure they will, cause i sort-of trust 'em. uociawaiiam.

i tested with a fresh version of osx. i re-downloaded flash from macromedia. and reinstalled and re-registered and dumped prefs. but maybe i'm missing something and it s all me? i am all ears.

my guess is flash mx is not compatible in some way with the clipboard. but i'm just an unpaid mx beta-tester/bug jockey/macromedia made fool. or somthing else maybe. maybe it is my clipbord on my machine? but everything else works except mx 2004 pro. why?

what is your guess? mike chambers? if you read this do you have a tip for me? i am just up the street want to look at my machine? i could bring it over to you? i dont even care that y'all never responded to my very late craigslist postings for user testing (most of FK is like craigslist wha?) i just needs to be rollin when i down my coffee in the mornin' and fire up the app, not fighin this stuff man.

thanks

I just took your post, copied it multiple times in Flash MX 2K4 Pro, and it didn't crash on me.

I'm using 10.2.8 as well. I do wish to say that this newest iteration of Flash does have some bugs, but there is an upcoming update (I believe) that you might want to really take into consideration.

With that said, I wish you the best of luck dude. I don't use flash for no other reason than hobby now. But I understand your pain.

thanks gerbik

i appreciate you trying that out. it must have ran off the screen

i wonder did you see a jump of the textblock when pasteing plain text into an existing text block on stage?

thanks man

didn't see a jump, but an extra line above the text was added. a simple delete got rid of it.

but, I added a grid, then moved the text box exactly to 130, 120. copied/pasted your text - yeah, ran off the edge - and it didn't move.

but there was an extra line for no reason. it doesn't paste into anywhere else with that extra line.

thanks again gerbick

it just did that copy paste thing in my fresh osx 10.2.8 on my other startup disk with a fresh install of flash mx 2004 pro on that volume and it jumps to what looks like the center of the page upon pasting. so those #'s i came up with before might just be relative to the mc i was working on. strange. the text box has a circle in the upper right, seems to be similar problem with a square in the upper right.

the other thing i did on that same system was open a document that had a bunch of timeline layers. then a plain flash new document. i copy layers one at a time from the old to the new. click layer to highlight it and all its frames, option+command+c then in the new doc click a layer, option+command+v and repeat. by the time i get to the fourth or fifth layer or so flash will have slowed, then beachball for a while then beachball and crash. things will be strange till i restart the computer, not just flash, after that. the layers have a decent amount stuff but nothing insane, the .fla us under 1mb.

i have most panels open, maybe that makes a difference? i have seen another person someplace complain about problems with clicking from the actions panel to the timeline, so maybe problems happen when open. here is my list of open panels:
    history, align, transform, info, actions, library, properties.

any panther users out there having good luck with flash mx 2004 pro?

thanks
    Last edited by grish; 10-30-2003 at 02:02 PM.

how much RAM do you have again?

I have 1.5gb of RAM here.

i dont think its ram...

i have a decent amount not maxed out though

SDRAM 512
    SDRAM 512
    SDRAM 128

Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73)

Darwin Kernel Version 6.8: Wed Sep 10 15:20:55 PDT 2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.49.obj~2/RELEASE_PPC
    dual 800 MHz

thanks for the ideas