A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problem with Jukebox

Problem with Jukebox

HEy,
    I have a jukebox in a movieclip. I put a preloader into it, but I'm having trouble with it. IS it possible to preload a movieclip? Also, for some reason, when I preview the movieclip, the sound works fine. But when I preview the entire site, the sound doesnt work. I attached the movieclip as a separate .fla. I removed the the audio tracks to make the .fla small in size. Take a look. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    Preload a movie clip? No. An external .swf, yes! Which is it?

Ohh ok so can I make this jukebox a swf? Cause I want to have it load on to the main flash page. How would I do this?

Banned
    You could load it in a container movie clip, in your main movie, or on another level, which might be better in this case. But are you sure you want to include the 3 tracks in the external movie rather than dynamically loading them, even as streaming mp3s? If not that movie could be fairly heavy in size and take quite some time for it to load for slow connected users.

Hmm yes dynamically loading seems to be the better way. But how is that done? Sorry for my incompetence :P

OK I got the tracks dynamically loaded, but how do you make a preloader for a dynamically loaded sound?

Banned
    Event or streaming?

Only really possible when an event sound...

http://www.kennybellew.com

How to build a preloader for dynamically loaded MP3's

Well say you wanted to show the user how much of the song has finished streaming. Then you could use a preloader i suppose...

Alright I have the jukebox working fine now as a separate swf. Now how can I get that swf on the actual flash site swf?

Banned
    Suggest you load it as an external movie on another level, with...

loadMovieNum("soundplayer.swf", 10);

I guess this .swf is smaller than the main movie, and it will default at position 0,0 the top-left corner.
    If you want to position it differently, you'll have to do it within the soundplayer .fla itself, by adding the following on it's first frame...

this._x = 350; // offset from the top-left corner
    this._y = 400; // offset from the top-left corner

Of course, you'll have to play with those numbers until you get it just right.

Thanks a lot for the help!