A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i have ADHD!!!

take a kid with adhd or add. site him in a class. he will fidget more than the others. yell at him everytime he does and he will still not stop! it isnt a crutch it isnt a shortcut in life it isnt an excuse. i sure as hell dont use it as one! i try to help it. i try to stop it, does it work stopping it, no! i cant help my adhd impulses
    Jonny Stick hands went sleeping with the stick fishes

Originally posted by bhamonkey
    take a kid with adhd or add. site him in a class. he will fidget more than the others. yell at him everytime he does and he will still not stop! it isnt a crutch it isnt a shortcut in life it isnt an excuse. i sure as hell dont use it as one! i try to help it. i try to stop it, does it work stopping it, no! i cant help my adhd impulses
    Then you actually have adhd in a world of people who use it to explain why they can't pay attention..

"Oh.. junior is getting F's in 4 classes.. he must have ADHD"...

no.. 99% of the time it's cuz Junior is too busy fooling around in class and not doing his homework..
    ..tween this

not true, fooling around in class and fidgeting are compleatly different

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by bhamonkey
    not true, fooling around in class and fidgeting are compleatly different
    I don't think he was trying to claim a difference between these two things.

More, he was trying to say that although ADD etc are real... er, syndromes (?), there's many a goof off that claims to have the same er, syndrome (?) to explain why they have straight F's.

I wish they'd had such er, syndromes (?) when I was in school - I could've really used a good out such as this. I would've worked it to the max. As it was, my C (+/-) average in HS was simply attributed (and rightly so) to me being a total goof off.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Hi there!

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in about this. I was on Ritalin when ADD was still a new concept while growing up. I got put on it at 5 years old and was on Ritalin and the different variations of it until 14. I have just recently, at 26, gotten myself back on medication.

ADD/ADHD is VERY real. While it is INCREDIBLY misdiagnosed nowadays, there are still people, such as myself, who really do have it. It's not a theory anymore. It has been proven that people with ADD have parts of their brain that function differently than others. They have more overactive and unactive parts. I'd find the link but it's almost my lunch break :P

TRUE ADD has very noticeable manifestations. A person with ADD with have a hard time sitting still and concentrating. It's not that they don't want to, it's that they really CAN'T. I'm a Flash teacher at a technical school and when I am not on my medication, I cannot stop fidgeting. It's embarassing to see the students watch me fidget. I also have a hard time staying focused, even in the middle of a sentence sometimes. It's a very frequent occurence for me to forget what I am saying right in the middle of saying it. When i say frequent, I mean multiple times a day.

Anyway, more later. Lunch time =)

Ok back =)

Anyway, I don't neccessarily agree with medicating everyone and for years I refused to take any type of medication for 12 years. Some people really need it to be able to function in the professional world. I am one of those people. I'm not ashamed of having ADD. Some of the greatest minds in history have had it. People that REALLY have ADD have a tendency to have above average IQs and be incredibly creative. That has been lost in the past decade, due to overzealous psychiatrists who medicate every kid that has problems.

As an adult with ADD, I can say that I am still undecided about medication. For myself, I only take it before work or when I need to do something important. That works for me and I'm not reliant on it to live my life.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    I don't think he was trying to claim a difference between these two things.

More, he was trying to say that although ADD etc are real... er, syndromes (?), there's many a goof off that claims to have the same er, syndrome (?) to explain why they have straight F's.

I wish they'd had such er, syndromes (?) when I was in school - I could've really used a good out such as this. I would've worked it to the max. As it was, my C (+/-) average in HS was simply attributed (and rightly so) to me being a total goof off.

no kidding, i didn't get any good drugs or sympathy when I was in school either.. hey but I hear theres a adult version of ADD..

i am not proud nor sad that i have adhd. i noticed in school that kids that dont have it use adhd as an excuse. "why didnt you do your home work" excuse "i have adhd" it makes me want to punch them in there face. teachers always tell me not to use my dissorder as an excuse even though i have never once done that

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    no kidding, i didn't get any good drugs or sympathy when I was in school either..
    Well, I didn't get any sympathy, that's for sure.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting