dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New survey about Flash Intros 80% of consumers hate them

New survey about Flash Intros 80% of consumers hate them

According to this one survey from Marketing Sherpa, 80% of consumers hate Flash intros.

http://www.marketingsherpa.com/sampl...contentID=2524

Here are some sample comments made from respondents:

o "Flash sucks. If I want a movie, I'll go to the theater. I
    just want quick information,"

o "Flash should be banned from the face of the earth - such a
    pain."

o "If I'm going to a Web site, I want information. I want
    information quickly. It could be written in 10 point pica
    for all I care. I'm already interested in what might be
    there, why turn me off?"

o "When searching the Web, my most immediate concern is
    generally time, how quick can I find/do it. This leaves
    little room for animation."

It appears the dislike of Flash goes beyond intros. Comments also include:

sites using Flash navigation that require users to move the curser in order to see their options are shooting themselves in the foot.

You can look at the actual survey here...
    http://emediaweb.com/surveys/shp20031023/survey.html

Granted the survey leaves a lot of room for questions, but the results indicate Flash Intros are not popular.

Any thoughts?

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I decided years ago that intros are for tweeners, and if a customer wants one, they have to beg (or pay) to get it.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Wow, I've read the forums here a lot, but never felt compelled to register til now. I HATE it when someone makes a survey like that, and so obviously gears it to the outcome they want to report on.

They give the survey-taker 2 options... view an intro with sucky, boring, jittery animation that serves no purpose, versus a well-designed content-filled html page.

And then the survey asks the taker "which opening do you like better?" Of course they aren't going to vote for a poorly-designed animation with no content (that doesn't even lead to the page with content). Its like if I asked you if you'd prefer catching a basketball that's on fire and covered with feces or a perfectly fine baseball... and then announcing the world that everyone loves baseball and that basketball should never be played again.

The survey doesn't even HAVE a question to ask the taker if they like flash sites. They just say "which is better, A or B" and then make all sorts of proclamations from the results. Somebody needs to take a stats class.

Obviously flash is appreciated by a significant section of the population, or else clients wouldn't be asking web developers for a flash site in the first place.

Granted, a poorly designed flash site, with non-intuitive navigation can be a horrible way to get content out to your users... but how is this any different than a poorly designed HTML-based site? I've seen my fair share of HTML sites that try to be tricky & incorporate (poorly) the navigation/content into a guessing game of "find the section of the graphic that links to what you want". The problem is with the design, not the delivery method.

And then I don't know what they're trying to get at with the question of "what is your connection speed?" The static HTML "page" is really just an image of a page, which is 112K. The flash animation (while I didn't try to save the .swf to see how large it is) should not have been more than half that size (assuming proper flash design). And then they quote figures about the users who had broadband vs. dial-up as if that had anything to do with their preference.

The article uses phrases like "But, don't fool yourself into thinking it's slow Internet connections that causes people to hate Flash." They used the word HATE, as if their preference test could rate the amount of preference. These are such horrendously presumptuous statements.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I had rant for a bit. I hope you all can understand my frustrations. Feel free to retort if you think I'm misinformed in some matter.

Regards,

~the dave
    www.everdez.com

most of the people from this organization probably did half the votes themselves, lol. along with that poor example of a flash intro.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

well said.

this survey, if it's the one they are basing their findings on and is not just an unscientific sampling for entertainment on the web, is ridiculous...

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Wow, I didn't even look at the link before.

That's truly pathetic.

The survey and the Flash content.

I'd choose the html page as well.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

i took it and chose the html page but left a detailed reason why it was what i chose and what could have made the intro site better.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

Originally posted by sk8Krog
    i took it and chose the html page but left a detailed reason why it was what i chose and what could have made the intro site better.
    i did also and basically told them the flash looked like it was done by an amateur and most professional sites with flash either have a splash page that lets u bypass the intro or has a skip button anyway.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Some great feedback here guys, and ALL valid points. Sounds like some of the feedback I gave them when the survey was originally distributed.

I'd like to find the 20% of the people who preferred the Flash page and find out why.

The survey doesn't give enough options to support the results they are claiming. At best, this survey would indicate that people prefer the specific HTML page to the specific FLASH page.

When I think of how much that survey effects me.. I think of nothing.

I to find myself skipping just about every intro I come across, however, I love ending up on a flash site. I suppose this is why I continue to make flash sites, and have never actually made a flash intro.

I would like to know what their target audience was, I know when I show say 10 of my friends a design I'm working on, 100% flash, they always love it.. they never say.. "I hate flash".. they think it's great..

Now I will say this.. I opened the link just to see what came up.. ... if they are using that style site to gauge survey's.. no wonder everyone hates flash.. that intro made me hate flash..

Now they should go back and re-survey everyone who took this one, and show them a site like 2a or 24-7media.. it's not the technology people hate, it's how it's used.. give em something good and then see their reaction.
    ..tween this

There is a Hope
    My pet hamster could do a better Flash intro!
    If the company was serious about getting peoples genuine view on Flash sites they should have got one of you guys working on it.

The flash siet wasn't even complete, how could anyone prefer it. I was so annoyed I wrote the follwing as a comment:
    "The 'Flash' animated site was obviously designed by a second rate totally unprofessional website designer, who in my opinion shouldn't be let loose on a computer let alone anyones website. Of course the standar html site was the better one it was complete. This survey is extremely biased and any outcome should be totally disregarded"

This is very unlike me to get so worked up, but its extremely annoying when the outcome of the survey was already decided upon prior to anyone being asked.

Someone should do a proper survey and get genuine results.
    Ali_W

Originally posted by Ali_W

"The 'Flash' animated site was obviously designed by a second rate totally unprofessional website designer, who in my opinion shouldn't be let loose on a computer let alone anyones website.
    i'm actually gonna disagree with this.

i think the guy who built this knew exactly what he was doing--a lot of people would try to get some conventions right but screw them up if they were trying--this designer knew HOW to make a terrible site, to skew the results of the poll.

There is a Hope
    Originally posted by erova
    i'm actually gonna disagree with this.

i think the guy who built this knew exactly what he was doing--a lot of people would try to get some conventions right but screw them up if they were trying--this designer knew HOW to make a terrible site, to skew the results of the poll.
    I thought that as well, but wanted to make a point. Why would anyone who knew what they were doing do that though is beyond me (well apart from being paid lots of money to produce crap - but even then I would have a real problem with doing it).
    Ali_W

Flash Intros

Flash intros should be done based on what the website is about, the scope of the project, and through client communication. If it is something they want, suggest it be simple and SHORT straight to the point!

Whenver I do a flash intro, it should not be something that needs a preloader, and there should ALWAYS be a skip intro button...

But like I said, i think it depends on the project, the company, everything! It's important to take all aspects of the project into consideration for a flash movie.

I don't think they are evil, i enjoy good flash intro's....but LONG pointless one's are well, just pointless!

The intro should SAY something about the website or company. It should perhaps even give a preview of the content that the visitor is going to explore...

FOR example, i work for a company that manufactures wire and cable. If i were to do a flash intro (which i didn't for our site), I would maybe have 3-5 different product images flash up, and tell what applications they can be used for. Such as Audio, Video, Home Automation, Structed wiring, and Lighting. These are the 5 main product categories....so just a quick flash up w/ an image and text would do the trick...

just my 2Cents! =)

valerie
    ||| Valerie |||

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT

The interface can be the intro, instead of a blank screen like with HTML.

enjoy

tutash

Banned by GMF
    FKs Banning Machine

This survey is almost offensive, I hope people see it for what it really is

The Excentrifugal Force SSC Cosmic's Avatar
    It seems to me the "big entrance" way of doing things, such as 2A's latest version, is a better way of conveying some all important message that you want the viewer to see and hear, as opposed to lengthy intros that are skipped by the impatient. Make the loading process the commercial.

Wasn't that survey underwritten by HAJSC
    (The HTML Authors Job Security Consortium)?
    if (you expect help){
    then.help(others);
    }else{
    gotoAndCheck.aSite4.somePoorBastardinSiteChex;
    }

nice survey
    i can follow their thoughts...but they are also lacking to say the graphical improvement compared to static pages

intro's and loading screens are a pain i think (one of the main downsides of flash). But that survey puts it out of the context a little i think.
    flash is for graphic animations and not to have info within a second.
    If you need that just create a text page and put it on the net.
    Flash is most of the time used for presentation of material. and it a perfect tool for that too.
    For instance a website for a movie. It can create the feeling of that movie with effx, sounds, ect...
    Don't tell me it has no effect on viewers that wants to check it out to see if that movie is good or not.

it's all about why a website is created.
    For just plain info? then that survey is correct (i don't need a survey to tell me that lol )
    is it for presentation? then good luck with those static pages. You will have a hard time selling those products

and those other comments are not flash related
    they mention 'l oreal and that you have to search to find any mention of the company's brands.
    It's a structural fault and not a fault of flash (if it's an error whatsoever).

and i can go on and on
    Last edited by neone; 11-22-2003 at 10:21 PM.

I have not read the survey - but I have to agree with some of the comments.

I hate flash used as splash screens - especially when there is no skip movie and/or no html option.

What I hate more is going to a website where you have to sit through the flash falling into place - where they build up layers upon layers of flash and then the info loads in small pieces around the place. you are sitting their for 5 mins just waiting to find out what they do.

I think Flash has its place - but I think it is overused by most.

If I am at a website - it is because I have a reason to be there - usually that is finding information within that site. I do not want to be foreced to sit through things. This is wasting my time - and my time is valuable to me. Why should i waste it watching clouds streaming across the page?

yes yes... I'll get off the soap box now...
    <:8O)~~~ RATS! they ate my footer! ~~(O8:>

There is a Hope
    Originally posted by TianaKaeSha
    I have not read the survey - but I have to agree with some of the comments.

I hate flash used as splash screens - especially when there is no skip movie and/or no html option.

What I hate more is going to a website where you have to sit through the flash falling into place - where they build up layers upon layers of flash and then the info loads in small pieces around the place. you are sitting their for 5 mins just waiting to find out what they do.

I think Flash has its place - but I think it is overused by most.

If I am at a website - it is because I have a reason to be there - usually that is finding information within that site. I do not want to be foreced to sit through things. This is wasting my time - and my time is valuable to me. Why should i waste it watching clouds streaming across the page?

yes yes... I'll get off the soap box now...
    Take a look at the survey and see how biased it is.
    The flash intro they have put together would put the most hardened Flash Pro off using flash, I can't see anyone liking it.
    Ali_W