A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have converted!

Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    send me some over MSN Messenger.. a friend of mine has a mac and can't send files to me over ICQ.. wondering if it works over Messenger.
    yeah, it works over MSN, no probs. same for AIM... I get files from AIM on Mac, PC, and GAIM users on Linux while I'm using iChat.

lol. Covenent, you'd not want any of my psd's... they're a mess of layers, layer masks, and weirdly used textures.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    want me to send you some flash files? or html? or quicktime movies? or what about some psd's? all made on mac, all will work on PC's
    seriously? obviously the .htm and .mov files will port, but .fla and .psd too?
    <johnny carson voice>i did not know that...</>

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

congrats on the Mac..

What did your PC have (pc, ram, hd, etc).. wanna unload some of it depending on what it is?
    ..tween this

*Backs into corner, turns into Mac self defense mode, slashes at haters with claw*

Ok, so maybe I got the Mac so I could tell people about it, but honestly that's only 90% of the reason. I do plan on using that little chess game that came with it.

As far as software and all that. Honestly the main reason I got it was to use it as an editing system with FCP. Unfortunatley nobodyhas the option of using that on the PC, I was tired of Premiere's interface and I tried Avid and didn't like it. The only thing I think i will need to buy is Studio MX for Mac and After Effects 6 for Mac. And I needed those programs anyway because I have old versions and planned on buying them for PC.

And the sharing file issue between Mac and PC, I think Gerbick already covered that. Anything I will be using can be shared perfectly fine on PC. All that really matters to me if that I can share video, web, and office files. As G-man said, my Alienware which is somewhat comparable in terms of speed wasn't exactly cheap either. It's not as fast as the G5 and it has 2 Xeons, and RT editing card (storm) and SCSI hardrives in a RAID config For less speed and more compatibility issues, the amount of headaches and bugs a machine like that gave me nearly put me in a straight jacket.

Yo I'll check out that site Gerbick. do you have IChat? I'm curious to see how it works.

Anyhoo, I don't really want to debate the merits of Mac/PC as I know that PC's are valuable in a lot of areas. I'm just saying so far I love this machine and am having a great time learning something new. I'm not turning against PC persee. I'll probably keep the Alienware, and use it for games and as a placeholder for my beer stein.

Originally posted by nordberg
    seriously? obviously the .htm and .mov files will port, but .fla and .psd too?
    <johnny carson voice>i did not know that...</>
    bah. even your sarcasm needed johnny's help

yeah, last night I was modelling around in Pixels3D 5.0 on the mac, exported out the *.3ds, which I opened up in Plasma, and was playing around with when I should have been working. files are easily shared... I use Open Office on the mac, instead of Open Office, but I swap out *.doc files with the rest of the world without incident.

You talk like right out of a commercial. Maybe macs are great if you're not proficient with hardware, but I like customization, and enjoy compatibility of software. I dont mind playing around with drivers - and I havent had a BSOD since my XP update 2 years ago. And the interface?

Oh, well my PC looks like a mac anyways.

customization? dude, you can upgrade, customize, or do most of that same stuff to a mac.

telling you people... I took a 450mhz G4 Cube to 1.2ghz, 1.5gb RAM, DVD-R replacement, GeForce3, 120gb hard drive upgrade. Yeah, that's not as radical as my old dual AthlonMP water-cooled monster I used to keep, but it's an upgrade what not, nonetheless. later, will be moving to a newer case, and then perhaps watercooling the video card and cpu just to make it a total silent case.

oh, and no crashes yet.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    When I installed xp on my almost 4 year old dual p3 machine I swapped in a dvd drive.

When I opened the case I found 2 dead crickets.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

ewwww.

customization? dude, you can upgrade, customize, or do most of that same stuff to a mac.

telling you people... I took a 450mhz G4 Cube to 1.2ghz, 1.5gb RAM, DVD-R replacement, GeForce3, 120gb hard drive upgrade. Yeah, that's not as radical as my old dual AthlonMP water-cooled monster I used to keep, but it's an upgrade what not, nonetheless. later, will be moving to a newer case, and then perhaps watercooling the video card and cpu just to make it a total silent case.

oh, and no crashes yet.
    Why upgrade a Mac when you can CUSTOM BUILD a PC from the get go, and later "upgrade". With a PC you have a multitude of choices of Cases, RAM, Motherboards, Video cards, Hard Drives that you can mix and match from the get go. And then later upgrade again.
    Last edited by Hellsbellboy; 11-18-2003 at 07:22 PM.

easy. it still runs. and the upgrade path was there. unlike my last Asus board... damn thing stopped at AMD 2000+ with support with that last BIOS update.

and besides, a good machine will cost you the same as a mid-level mac.

ddr ram, sata hd, dvd-burner, aluminum case, processor, wireless card, bluetooth, high level video card, dvd-rom, good (copper) heatsink, modified (copper) heatsink for video card... it all adds up.

oh, and that's my PC. go figure.

what shaddy ASUS board that supporst XP200+ wouldn't support XP2100+ and XP2200+. I'm using a cheap ECS K7S5 mobo which supports from a cheap Duron 600 to a XP2600+ SDRAM or DDRRAM. That's a large upgrade path there.. I built a PC with MSI K7N2-L nForce 2 motherboard, XP2700+, x2 Corsair PC3200 RAM 512MB, 80GB Western Digital 8mb Hard Drive, 128mb Radeon 9600 for less then $660
    Last edited by Hellsbellboy; 11-18-2003 at 07:36 PM.

Originally posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    When I installed xp on my almost 4 year old dual p3 machine I swapped in a dvd drive.

When I opened the case I found 2 dead crickets.

I was gonna reply to gerbie's post but on the reply page your post came up. Knocked my will to reply right out.

I'll tell you when I get home. It clipped the support mainly because of the fact that it didn't fully support PC3200 with CAS2 timing of 2-2-2 or something.

anyway, it's all about using whatever you like, can use, and need. I build all of my PC's, but the mac... why not? it's sorta funny how people have built up this xenophobic stigma - myself included because I used to swear I'd never use another mac in my lifetime - about macs. closed box, blah, blah, what not. uh-huh. I remember when each and every box that IBM pushed out was a closed box. Same for the TRS-80's and Coleco Adams, and Amiga's, what not. but if I were to read this entire forum, I'd be led to believe that the state of affairs in the PC world is just very simple, clear, and easily solveable.

not.

oh well, I make money programming and consulting on PC's. I create the majority of my 3d, 2d, and motion graphics on the mac, and I'll never get hit with a darn *.vbs script via e-mail due to it's architecture. But I can claim the same on my PC because I filter them out like a smart user should.

dunno. I like my little mac mainly because it's outlasted every damn machine I own and I use it the most. but you damn well better believe I'm killing the hell out of Max Payne 2 on my PC when I get out of this office.

I'll tell you when I get home. It clipped the support mainly because of the fact that it didn't fully support PC3200 with CAS2 timing of 2-2-2 or something.

anyway, it's all about using whatever you like, can use, and need. I build all of my PC's, but the mac... why not? it's sorta funny how people have built up this xenophobic stigma - myself included because I used to swear I'd never use another mac in my lifetime - about macs. closed box, blah, blah, what not. uh-huh. I remember when each and every box that IBM pushed out was a closed box. Same for the TRS-80's and Coleco Adams, and Amiga's, what not. but if I were to read this entire forum, I'd be led to believe that the state of affairs in the PC world is just very simple, clear, and easily solveable.

not.

oh well, I make money programming and consulting on PC's. I create the majority of my 3d, 2d, and motion graphics on the mac, and I'll never get hit with a darn *.vbs script via e-mail due to it's architecture. But I can claim the same on my PC because I filter them out like a smart user should.

dunno. I like my little mac mainly because it's outlasted every damn machine I own and I use it the most. but you damn well better believe I'm killing the hell out of Max Payne 2 on my PC when I get out of this office.

yeah it's about whatever works.. The microsoft gods blessed me and I haven't had any problems and everything I need is readily avaliable on the PC and never needed anything but.

I'm currently installing Panther on a 400 MgHz imac to test it out at work. Anyone have any tips?

Perhaps in the department of setting it up to print to an epson 1280 which is connected to a different computer currently running OS 9?

And how the heck to I clear things out of the dock bar that I'm never going to use, like iChat, iCal, iTunes, iEverything...

iDrag the iCons out of the iDock... iPoof, they're iGone.

iDrag the iCons out of the iDock... iPoof, they're iGone.

iThankYou

but it'll have to for the Quark 5.01 updater, it tends to take around 2-3 hours even though quark 5 took 10 minutes

Re: I have converted!

Originally posted by Visionray
    Well, i've been using PC's for about 7 years now and I finally bit the bullet today and went to the Mac store. I'm typing this post on my new Mac G5 dual processor 1GB Ram cinema screen frickin biggity bomb gigawatt superman mac daddy machine!
    Welcome to the dark side my friend. You may use "frickin biggity bomb gigawatt superman mac daddy machine!" any time you like as far as i'm concerned.

Work is supposed to kick down for a 2 gig dually next month, but i want to wait to see if they roll anything new at Macworld in Jan. Either way, i'll have a new G5 early in the new year!

So what are some of the Mac essentials? Besides the IPod of course.
    That's pretty much it. Heck, if i could write Actionscript, surf the web and check email on my iPod, i'd never turn my machine on again.

d.
    dlowe93