A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Unfortunately only HTML in this one.. :(

Unfortunately only HTML in this one.. :(

hi,

apologies all round already as this particular site I'm doing now is not a flash site in any way.

I would still really appreciate your comments on it if you have a few seconds to spare.

I should mention that the client also didn't want me to go overboard in design with it, so it is fairly standard...

anyways,

enough of the ofputting talk!

http://www.icewag.com/plasticsurgery/newlook/nobanner/

is the current location of the site.

Please let me know what you think and what should/could be better in your opinions, it would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Kris

OK...

Well, its way too bright for me. Needs more contrast, otherwise even the text is hard to read. Are the main text chunks graphics for a reason? Once into the english version of the site, the layout and content speak well. The purple background and the light blue links dont quite work as far as color theory. I would also say to remove the woman in the background and just keep her in the upper left corner w/ more contrast.

-Tyler

dreamer
    I agree with GameDev, the site is too bright. Use some darker colors to liven it up. And right, the girl in the background is distracting. Also, there needs to be something that draws attention to what the site is about. Everything blends so well together that you don't know where to look to find out. Try putting a logo or some stylized text somewhere at the top that emhpasizes the purpose.

Also, and this is a minor point, the picture you chose makes me think of skin, not beauty. A plastic surgeon is selling beauty so find a pic that emphasizes stunning drop-dead gorgeousness, not an intimate pose. Maybe a good closeup of a model's face, something like that.

You have a really professional, simple, but well organized site going there. If I was a woman who needed a nose-job I would feel comfortable because of how the service seems professional and reputable.

thanks guys

GameDev:
    regarding the image txt chunks I gather you mean on the index page. The only real reason for that is that while I'm testing and doing various versions of the site, this text and layout is likely to change, so I figured I would be quicker to just re-export the graphic while I'm still in this stage. But point well taken.

With regards to your mention of colour theory - unfortunately i'm not familiar enough with that. Do you mean they don't work together cos they are too similar, rather than separate (or matching) ends of the spectrum?
    -

dayTree:
    you mention that there needs to be something that emphasizes what the site is about. As the client does not have a logo, I had hoped that using a...somewhat related..image in the corner there and having their title in big letters, with a subtitle below would have done the trick. Seems I was wrong is it because they are fairly plain so they don't draw enough attention?
    -

Regarding the woman in the background, the only reason for her is that the client insisted on a backrgound pic (i tried convincing him otherwise, but didn't wanna argue too much), so I figured at least if I had a pale version of the same woman, that wouldnt be as bad...
    :/

Regarding the brightness...
    that's kinda where I'm a bit stuck, because I did a previous design in "normal colours and contrast" but when I showed the board for that to the client, he disliked it and wanted "much lighter and brighter colours". So in designing this I went back and forth to extremely bright/light etc. and thought I had found something here that was "much lighter and brighter (l&b)" for the client, but not too l&b for users.
    This is why i'm quite hesitant to go less bright...

But in it's current state you would both feel that it is actually way too bright, to the extent of being annoying/uncomfortable?

Thanks again - you're both a great help

kris

<83)~ ratman
    gday mate

hey don't worry about it not being flash. it's all good

and it's annoying isn't it how some clients have no design taste..

but anyway.. here are my thoughts sorry if they're repeated...

the text on the splash where you choose the language seems to be squashed horizontally... it looks to tall and skinny...

taht light blue address is a little bright but yeah i guess you can't do much.. maybe an option is to give it a thin black outline.. give it a try i dunno how it would look

actually now i think about it, this language splash is a bit of a waste of time.. i reckon maybe just have a link up the top or something of the page to switch the language. i think that would be sufficient... because that whole page seems a bit redundant (i just noticed you have language flags)

also, i think you've overused images a bit.. for example the menu at the top can be done in text only as can your title and motto for the co.. it's just simple text.. usually images are used if an obscure font is used but this one is pretty standard..

also.. there seems to be a problem that the main content text is in black.. whereas the title/menu etc is in blue.. so the content text grabs the attention of me quicker than the title.. maybe it's just me i dunno.

but yeah, these are just thoughts

steve rat