A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Variables to control a movie Question!

Variables to control a movie Question!

Lets see how to make this simple....

I have 8 content plates, lets call them "states", as well as 8 navs at the top. These navs "call" the 8 various "states"

The goal is to have the current "state" slide out to the left and a new "state" slide in from the right when a nav is hit. This would apply to all navs / states.

One way to do it would be to do the 8 x 8 possible combinations of tweening between states possible- this is archaic [64 different ones!]

Instead I know there must be a way to do using variables. For example when "state 3" is up and you hit the 5th nav, some sort of Actionscript would querry which state is up [3], command that specific state [3] to slide left, and slide the newly selected state [5] in from thr right.

I know this sounds simple but I have done some AScript before I keep hitting walls here.

Can anyone be specific and provide details on a way to do this? I have been using if then statements and it is not working for me [if state=3 then gotoAndPlay("3out") etc...]

Please help! any ideas are welcome
    Jason

maybe you are using the wrong operator in your if statement?

1 equals sign is the assignment operator, 2 equals signs is a equality operator. you want to use == in an if stament like this:
    if(state==3){
    // do something
    }

Thanks Dev Flasher

I will try out that solution. As you can see I have done some AS before but am not completely proficient. "Equality Operator" lesson learned!

Just a quick question before I start into it again... With the 8 possible states of the site is an "if then' scenario the best way to go about it, in the sense that there will be 8 if statements for each button...? There might be a more streamlined approach.... although if I can use if then it might be simpler for my puny AS brain

Thanks
    Jason

Did IT!

Thanks so Much!!

it worked with the if then's fine. Here is a simple test movie I was using and it works! instead of 8 there are only 3 in this movie but it will work the same....

Thanks again DevFlasher!
    Jason
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your Welcome. For simplicities sake your method of doing this will work fine.
    ~Dev