A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: concept problems.

concept problems.

Hello everyone.

Im having a slight difficulty trying to grasp how the following works.
    I have tried a few ways, but still cannot seem to grasp it.

Here is the situation...

I have my interface(MOVIE_A) and the menu loads other movies into the desired area, (MOVIE_B). I figured out how this could be done using load and unload movie in the code. It works perfectly.

Now the problem.. MOVIE_B is large in size, so I decided to add a preloader to MOVIE_B.fla. When I view it via export movie, or over the web as a stand-alone file, the preloader works, and so do the GOTOANDPLAY(); commands. However, when the movie is displaying via the interface (MOVIE_A). The preloader will not function properly, nor the GOTO functions.

So my question/request for help is this.. how do I set paths for MOVIE_B that will ever only be in MOVIE_B.
    I was using _root.blah but it seems to not work when loaded in the interface (MOVIE_A).

basically for now, movie_b is simply a preloader, that when at 100% goes to the next frame all within movie_b.

One more thing, for the same case, what should I use for MOVIE_B getBytesLoaded();

would it be _root.getBytesLoaded(); or this.getBytesLoaded();

I really appreciate any help I could get on this matter.

Thanks in advance.
    -Adam

Professional Air Guitarist Frag's Avatar
    Brain, Body, Clothes, Computer Chair, Room, House, Neighborhood, City, State, Country, Continent, World, Galaxy, Universe, and on?
    When you load a movie into another movie, the _root of the loaded movie is the same as the _root of the base movie.

Workaround: use _parent

And use _root.movieContainer.getBytesLoaded(); in your main movie;

so _parent would be used for movie_b to contact movie_a correct?

if so, what will I use in movie_b only for movie_b?

Thanks alot for the quick reply, im working on this stuff now, so it is very helpful!!

Banned
    You could also use a generic preloader within the main movie to load all external movies, like this one... http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=456020

If you want a transition between loading different movies all with one preloader, check this... http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/p...transition.htm

Finally, if you loaded your movie on another level rather than in a container clip, no script changes would be needed in the "to be loaded" movie.