A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: instant messaging in flash

instant messaging in flash

flash is now compatible with ICQ through comm byKD, check it out here:
    http://www.livepros.com/site/default...in&skinID=icq1

let me know what you think, you will need to have ICQ account to log in.
    Dan

scary..that's what i think. i hope they worked out all the security risks involved..
    Tea

scary? no, its exciting, just think what can be done with it.
    from custom UIs to custom functionality like games, multiuser chats, news feeds, and enterprise solutions.
    Year 2004 will be the year of IM

Dan

ill be happy when they incorporate mIRC... now THERE'S an accomplishment. it has so many damn features and it's so customizable, it'd be quite the feat to incorperate it into flash...

Making the world a better place for absolutely nobody...

where is a good link to mIRC?

ummm... mirc.com , lol...

Making the world a better place for absolutely nobody...

yeah, although MIRC is rather old, it is still one of the best forms of chatting. It's so simple, no bulky application, and it reaches thousands, if not millions of people (and yeah, viruses too)..

ALthough, IM being more personalized and with lots more cool features, i guess the bulk is worht it.

Tea

I think IRC is on its decline even with millions of users AIM, MSN, and Yahoo all have hundreds of millions of users, they are the once to integrate first.

Dan

Dose it use external script...like php or something?
    The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to chose from

irc has been mostly underground. Like you think napster was the beginning of file sharing, you were able to do that using mirc ages ago, anyway, that's another thing.

So mirc is here to stay, just not for normal internet users, but for the most experienced ones.

I don't know how yur application works, but one of the main concerns with flash has been its security, swf is not at all secure, therefore i wouldn't trust too much to put a password in flash, yet :P

It's a good thing to have that application though, it proves flash is getting stronger, but still i don't see a good use in it, except to have a little funier good looking skin for icq. Nevertheless, if it's supposed to be an icq replacement, i'll go for trillian, which integrates msn and yahoo aswell. And if it is supposed to be used for commercial use, why don't just develop your own flash chat (like i see you have on your site)

I mean, congratulations, as a geek i say that thing is pretty cool, but, i don't see who may want to integrate icq to their website....maybe you know who, that's why you developed it.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

currentlly I relise that Flash is getting closer and closer to Java applets, and also if you place a tired Party program with it, like SWF STUDIO, it makes it even closer ro real Stand Alone Java (Like OpenOffice.org)
    The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to chose from

hi guys,
    asdfghjkl: Flash is just a skin, the real power is under the hood. It uses comm byKD which is java based data communication server. It has been worked on and optimized and now can support tens of thousands of concurent users.

argonauta: Flash is just a skin. Data are stored on server which makes it a little more secure This app runs in a test mode, the real version uses a dynamically generated key which is tied to IP and expires imediately after first use or after 15 seconds if user doesn't connect. This makes it pretty tough to crack even if the hacker decompiles the downloaded swf.

ICQ is just the first UI, server already supports AIM, MSN, and Yahoo, we are just working on final bug fixes. You will see all in action before the end of the year.

Comm byKD is not another trillian. Unlike trillian its server based which caries with it many advantages as well as some dissadvantages.
    If you want, I can get into more details.

Dan