dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: interface design ?

interface design ?

Im working with this possibly crazy notion..

I designed what i think is a very tight interface in Photoshop and I want to use it to produce a Flash site for myself. Since I am new to flash i was wondering if the following would work?

My idea is to save the interface design minus everything that can be reproduced with vectors in Flash as a PNG file. That way I can import the png into my library in Flash. The Png file would sort of act as a skin. All the content and movie files would be loaded in layers under the iterface layer and would be seen throught the transparent areas on the interface design.

the png is like 60 K out of Photoshop but is smaller when the swf is published. It wouldn't be animated.

maybe it would help to attach a jpeg of the design.

here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice layout you have there. Yea, I
    believe that would work. Whenever I make
    my sites, I do relatively the same thing:
    Create a layout graphic in PS, set it as the bottom
    layer, add vector stuff (like text) on top.

cheers,
    venio
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

thanks

just needed to know it could work.

On sort of a similar note...

is it ok to import bitmaps to use to make buttons.
    (jpgs or pngs most likely)

Id have one for over state and one for off state (maybe even one for down state???) sort of like in html. I know it works, I've done it but is there a reason I shouldn't be making my buttons this way?

I think it works fine and have never had an issue when using bmp's vs vector for the buttons. Unless I am totally wrong(and I could very well be), I don't think it matters much.

many people import bitmaps into flash, especially with the new trend for people to use bitmap sequences for transitions etc (which I find a bit annoying to be honest..) but I don't see anything on that layout you attached that would need to be a bitmap. You could recreate that whole thing in a vector application like illustrator or xara x and export it as a SWF to flash. Vector apps tend to be better at shadows and gradients imho.

nate, nice interface layout.

aversion... a few questions for clarity... you think that interface could be better done with all the bevels and highlights and shadows in Illustrator vs. Photoshop???? What is xara x? WHAT THE HECK DOES 'IMHO' MEAN??? (drivin me crazy!)

steve

imho - in my hunble opinion, at least I think that's what it means, I could have been using it in all the wrong places!

xara x is a vector app developed for the web rather than apps like illustrator which are developed for print and adapted for the web. Xara is really easy to use, has excellent features and produces great layouts, we do all our prep work in them. It exports to swf, you import the swf to flash and it's a grouped vector, so you ungroup it and distribute to layers.

below is a small slice of an interface I did in xara, all vectors, when I imported the entire header into flash it was 4k, buttons and all. Plus because it can still be broken up over layers I could animate other symbols (like a globe) behind some of the semi-transparent layers and change buttons for rollovers etc. You can even still edit the gradients using flash's own gradient tool if you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow, I have never stood more corrected. Nice. You are truely the man around here, always helping out with gfreat info and experience. Thsi FK'er apreciates it!
    Steve

happy to help, work is boring me today

bores me most days, I hate working for someone else... gotta find more freelance work to get outta here!!!!

it doesn't change much, I work in a freelance partnership, we have an office in my apartment, and it's still boring sometimes.

the only thing that changes when you're working for yourself is that the boredom (or whatever you're feeling) is tinged with a permanent sense of fear and doom!

yea, you're right... maybe I am just bored with this contrat position I am stuck in that doesnt use me at all!!!