A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [How?] Non-actionscript Scrollbar

[How?] Non-actionscript Scrollbar

My friend showed me a way to use a scrollbar for a textfield with actionscript, but it's annoying cause you can't add images and it's hard to just do what you what to do with it.

Take a look at this flash file. You can click on the text and scroll down with your mouse, but the scrollbar on the side doesn't work. Is there any way to be able to scroll with that scollbar on the right without actionscript? I just want to be able to use the text tool to add text to make it simple and so I can add images around the text, etc.

http://www.outersph3re.com/graphics/test.swf
    http://www.outersph3re.com/graphics/test.fla

Thanks for the help,
    Slug

There has got to be some actionscript in the scrollbar. Afterall, it is for user interaction with the movie, and without AS there is no interaction.

The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...

How do people add images and nice looking formatting if you have to type all of the text in the actionscript window instead of the main text area shown in the flash file?

Not sure about imaging, but on formatting, you could use HTML encoded stuff like
    code:
    someBox.html=true
    someBox.htmlText="<strong>This is <u>strong</u> text...</strong>"
    //returns "This is strong text

As for indentation thats HTML I do not know. I'm more Flash AS than I am anything else.
    The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...

My text area is "Input Text" and this is what I have on there for my main page @ www.outersph3re.com.

I have "Render Text as HTML" on, but so far only <.b>, <.u>, and <.i> work. I tried <.font color='FF0000'>-›<./font> for the little arrow before the date and it didn't work.

"<.b>-› December 2nd, 2003<./b>" add newline add newline add "Welcome!" add newline add newline add "Hello and welcome to my little peice of the net. I'm still working on the content and the design is pretty much done. So hopefully soon this place will be all up. And I gotta give a big thanks to WoodenKimono for helping me out with this little flash bit. It works just how I wanted."add newline add newline add "Tom"

Could I add that code you just posted in there with tables so I can organize my data?

What's the difference between Input Text, Dynamic Text and Static Text?

Spidey wants his icon back! Defyeler's Avatar
    unless you're using MX2k4, and the user has Flash Player 7, you cannot use Table tags or any advanced HTML tags in your text include. YOu can use (B) (P) (FONT) and such however. (BR) and others work too.

I used perenthesis cause this board will pars < , and > as code.

MX2k4 allows for actual HTML page includes. Most ppl use the scrollpane component and create what they need inside it in flash, much easier and much nicer as you can create additional dynamics for the content that you cannot do with HTML.

And Flash without actionscript!.!.!.! HERESY! HERESY I SAY!
    Its never.. wow kool I like it, its always.. ok I made this.. how can it be better?

Originally posted by Defyeler
    unless you're using MX2k4, and the user has Flash Player 7, you cannot use Table tags or any advanced HTML tags in your text include. YOu can use (B) (P) (FONT) and such however. (BR) and others work too.

I used perenthesis cause this board will pars < , and > as code.

MX2k4 allows for actual HTML page includes. Most ppl use the scrollpane component and create what they need inside it in flash, much easier and much nicer as you can create additional dynamics for the content that you cannot do with HTML.

And Flash without actionscript!.!.!.! HERESY! HERESY I SAY!
    What's the difference between MX2k4 and MX2k4 Pro? I'm going to go buy it today.

So when I get MX2k4 and I put HTML in the flash, will the user be able to see if if they have Flash player 5 or 6? Or will I have to make sure they have Flash player 7 to view the site?

Thanks,
    Slug

Spidey wants his icon back! Defyeler's Avatar
    I don't know the difference between 2k4 and pro.

Yes they need flashplayer 7 to get all the features put out by 2k4. If you use a player detection that 2k4 can publish for you, it will get ppl with older players to download the new one.
    Its never.. wow kool I like it, its always.. ok I made this.. how can it be better?